• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lawn burnt with fertilizer

ozzie

So last july 4th someone (my neighbor) burnt a big 87 into my lawn with a bag of fertilzer......the numbers are about a foot deep 10 ft long and 6 ft wide....nice huh....anyways after it happened I tilled the numbers up a couple times and planted seed but nothing happened......now this spring I am wondering how to attack this problem....do I need to dig out and remove the dirt and replace it with fresh dirt or should I try to retill it again and reseed?

Nice neighbor.

I would think that after the snow melts, the fertilizer in the soil would be washed out and you should be able to work up the soil a little bit and spread seed over the area. Then lightly rake the seed in to make good seed to soil contact.

87 is or was his # in softball last year....he won't admit to me that he did it but he has told many of our mutual friends and they all told me that he is the culprit......the thing is the guy does allot for me like plows my driveway all winter and anything I need help with around the house he is always there.....great guy actually except for this instince!!! I would retaliat but I don't see that doing me any good as I am gone every weekend in the summer and he has allot of time to get me back!!!

I am hoping that the fertilizer has soaked or washed away but I doubt it since before snow fell you could still find fertilizer granuals if you looked hard enough........I am thinking that removing the tainted soil and putting new black dirt down and seeding again should do it hopefully.......the good thing is I know I will have a helping hand from my neighbor....LOL

I really think the snow will dilute it out in the spring run off. Plus with being exposed to the elements it should start breaking down.

Wholy he spent a lot of money for Fertilizer.

Just level it off and scratch it up and seed. I dont think tilling is nessacery

thanks for the info......yeah he had an extra bag of fertilizer sitting around and claimed it went missing until the numbers showed in my lawn and then he started to blame others.....classy but over a few drinks one night a close friend of both of ours spilled the beans!!!! Now I always sorta throw that in like "I wish I knew who did that to my lawn so I could get them back" or "do you want to admit that it was you" and he always responds "why would I do it then I would have to repair it" and I always tell him "you are helping either way!!!"