• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon XSi or Nikon 5000D

Any thoughts? I'm sure I would be happy with either and not trying to start a war...Which would you choose and why? Features and specs...I've been scouring the websites and I thnk cameta on ebeeey is my best bet. Seem to only save a 100 or so buying used or factory demo so I thnk ill go new. Mostly looking for that extra push to pull the trigger on $739.

I'd suggest you head to the closest store that has both cameras in stock and try them both out. The one you will like best will be the one that fits best in your hands and has controls that make the most sense to you. smilesmile

I'm not sure where Weaver is, or whether there's a big camera store nearby, but it's worth a day trip to a big city if you don't have the local camera store so you make the choice that fits you best.

We can argue this feature/performance vs that feature/performance all day and it won't help you. smilesmile

Ive bought all my new photo gear from bhphoto or adorama. Hands down best prices (excluding the hokey online shops) and great service. Look them up online.

You're gonna get a high quality camera no matter which way you go - Ill agree with the rest and tell you to go to the local store and try both out, then order online.

FWIW - Canon has a lower cost of entry into the higher end glass than Nikon does. If you plan to get a long zoom or prime around the 300-400mm range, you may find the prices to be a bit more reasonable.

Also - Ive recently purchased a couple lenses used from the Canon forums called Photography on the Net. Wish I would have known about that sooner for some of my other gear. You might be able to get yourself a 40D or 50D for about the same price as the XSi new.

Good advice concerning B&H and Adorama, but I also try to support my local camera store. Its nice to have them around when you need something quick and can't wait for delivery.

I watched the best flyshop in the twin cities go out of business when fishermen came in and tried out equipment and then bought on line. Now when I need hooks or tippet or just a cup of coffee and some conversation its not available anymore,