• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Houses???

Question

Hello everyone,

I know this has been posted previously (at least I'm sure it has) but I'm in the market for a good portable fish house. I was at the Expo; and saw a beautiful one from Otter; but I am wondering/curious on what do all of you use/like the best.

I'd like to consider weight, size obviously, and it has to come with a sled since most of the use will be in the BWCA.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone has a great weekend of fishing. I'll be out of the Ely area heading into one of the lakes....not really sure to be honest. Either going for Crappies or for some Walleyes. I'll post on Monday how I did.

Thanks again!

7 answers to this question

It depends how far in your going. I wouldnt drag and otter in very far. Ive got a small dome portable that I use for the BWCA. Looks like a tent but made for winter with a reflective covering inside. Weighs about 3 pounds. I think I got it at Target years ago.

I don't know about dragging some of those Otter-type sleds down the portage and through the swamps.... I've seen a couple of them dragged into Hoist, Indiana, etc. but it looked to be harder work than I care to indulge in.
I scored on an InsTent (made in Cloquet) a couple of years ago, and it fits pretty well on the longer plastic kids' toboggan. No problem scooting that thing pretty much anywhere I want to go. It collapses into a package roughly 5 feet long and maybe 14 inches in diameter. Plenty of room in the case for my chisel, spear, and other assorted goodies. They are spendy, but I am pleased with mine.
I've got another ultra-light set-up which is an HT one-man tent (basically an umbrella tent style of fishhouse) that works ok. I have modified it extensively, including a full-length fly to cut down on light transmission. I can fit that in a Duluth pack and have room for lunch, extra clothes, etc. It is not the best-made product, but certainly fits the "ultra-light" specification necessary for ski/snowshoe trips. Got that one out of Cabelas.
Wooden floors and suitcase-style fishhouses are comfy, but are a real pain to drag in. If you were to try maneuvering one of those things down some of the portages, it might well be an all-day project! Had an unfortunate incident on Wood Lake portage with a suit-case style house once, and I spent several hours and few bucks repairing the damage! The popple tree fared much better. (That was before they straightened out the trail)

BWCA, We do have a nice cozy spot in the forum. Born in Duluth, spent a few years in Alaska then moved to Twig about 14 yrs ago.
Are you going to the Burntside get together? I had 2 InsTents, hauled them into Topper many times. In fact opener on Topper looks like an InsTent reunion.

Thanks everyone.

I was wondering at first where my post went too off of the main Ice Fishing forum. Makes more sense here.

S.T. I talked with Rick at the Expo; he mentioned how everying is going great with the forum we moderate. Where are you from exactly if I can ask. Just curious. I'm currently in Hibbing; but born and raised in Ely.

Pete Z. I know all about the "Pete Zebich" name. Have you gone out lately ice fishing this year? I'm heading up to Ely this afternoon; and plan on going to tomorrow for some Crappies. At least that is the plan.

I've been checking out hsolist for houses; I do have one of those insta-tent. I didn't mind that at all; I guess I was looking to see what the opinions were on the sled type houses. I don't plan on going any overnighters or anything. Plan on Wood, Kawishiwi, off the Echo Trail. Fairly easy places to go.

Thanks for the info!

If your fishing alone most of the time,I'd go with the small otter den.Plenty of room for all your gear that you would need.Vex buddy heater,buckets I use two,auger,ice rods,bait,food. Otters the way to go!It pulls pretty easy in deep snow to.On clear ice you dont even know your pulling it.