• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing Grindstone

waterbound

Have any of you ever speared Grindstone? The Lake Finder makes it sound like there are some real gators in there (fish over 40 inches have been speared fairly recently). I'm planning on fishing for lakers at least part of the day Monday and spearing if I have time. There are some humps that come up to about 30 feet from much deeper water that I thought might be good places to fish for lakers and I was thinking it might be worth a shot to cut a spear hole and try sight fishing lakers/smelt with a possibility of getting a big ol' pike on the spear.

Well, I got up early Monday and was on the lake before the sun came up. Set up in some different depths for lakers and I was marking them on the flasher coming up for spoons but they didn't want to eat. After about 3 hours I decided I should switch over to spearing. I wasn't driving on the lake so I didn't want to walk all the way across it to the humps on the south end so I set up in 10 feet of water near a group of other spear houses. The water was clear enough to see decoys all the way down to the bottom but it was stained and spearing over a mud/gravel bottom made it difficult to see what was going on. I only saw one fish, probably a rainbow trout, just outside the hole but before he came in to take a minnow the ice shifted and he got spooked out of there. All in all it was a fun day even if I didn't have much luck.