• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pointing dogs

grousemaster

I guess I am not sure if you are looking for training tips or just out in the field tips.

Before you take him/her out in the woods make sure the pup has basic commands down, Specifically come back and staying close enough being you will most likely be in semi thick woods (staying close enough was my biggest issue with my gsp's cause they like to get out and run). Shoot some smaller guns like a .22 around her first so she gets used to the gun sound. Maybe even while practicing retrieving. #1 thing in my opinion to make them interested is to make sure they get on birds quickly the first day (easier said than done, but I think this is very important) In my experience the stopping and pointing will come naturally. Once you get a bird, even if you know where it fell let the pup find it even if it requires you walking up close the first few times. Then give her alot of praise when she gives it to you. Also it is good to get them out and doing it as often as possible when they are young.

Just a few thoughts from me, i'm sure more experienced trainers will chime in and give you advice.

Where abouts do you live/going to be hunting?

I've had a Setter(great grouse dog, okay pheasant dog) and a Wirehair(a beast on pheasants, okay on grouse). I'm getting another Wirehair pup in April. One thing I'm gonna do different with this pup is beeper collar intro. My Setter never had a problem with the beeper collar, but my wirehair did. Obviously these things are very loud.

What I will do different is when I run the dog is start with the beeper collar cone 2/3's covered with duck tape. Gradually exposing more and more of the cone or noise so they get used to it.

Also, like the above post, make sure you have the dog working close enough to you. Grouse will run just like pheasants do, woodcock hold better. My Setter like to run big so that was a constant issue.

I think setters are the best looking dogs on point. Something about the long tail with some feathering. Have fun with your new pup.

There is a place in Dayton that does a puppy program. Berg setters.

Carla and Greg are both GREAT people.... you won't be disappointed in one of their pups. I train with both Greg and Carla - talk to Greg about some training opportunities for your dog. Basics and some intro to birds and guns. Well worth the investment. Good luck!

Everyone is different but buying a well bred pointing dog and keeping it close, to me is like buying a Corvette and only driving 55.

Trust your dog...I've seen plenty of good pointing dogs hunt way under their potential because people tried to reign them in too close at a young age. The dog gets tenative, and what you end up with is a dog that points the birds that you would have most likely found anyway. A true grouse dog should adjust their style and range to how the birds are behaving on that particular day and how many birds are in a particular area.

My female will start hunting pretty close, then start to range out as the day goes on. As soon as we start making contact with birds, she will slow down becoming much more deliberate until the contacts become fewer, then she will start to range out again (possibly 50-75 yards) until she finds another bird.

A young dog needs bird contact. As many birds as possible. Is he going to bump some birds at first? Sure, but letting him range out is going to inevitably result in more bird contacts thus shortening the learning curve about how to handle them.

Don't expect to hunt very efficiently for at least the first season if not two...but trust me, letting your dog hunt, I mean really hunt is going to pay off in the long run.

Remember: Any dog can point grouse, a true grouse dog FINDS grouse.

Good luck with your new pup.

Snag - All Scott and Ben's training is at the new facility in Clearwater now. All fenced training grounds. Its very nice.

Well I have had my dogtra for about 9 years now and am just now looking to upgrade to a collar with a beeper and all the fancy new gadgets they have.

I hope you realize this is just one man's opinion. I was told once by a man much wiser than me when it comes to pointing dogs...you can ALWAYS reign them in, but once a dog is taught to hunt close it is impossible to get them to range out. I don't know where you are located but I'd love to get out in the woods next fall. I know a couple guys with nice setters and you can see what I'm talking about first hand.

my email is in my profile. How about some pics of the new pup?

Grousemaster, it's sad to hear you are going away from the Lab. They are soooooooooo much more verstive than the MaryEllen setter you're stuck with now.... Time will tell that you've made a poor choice.... Your friends will be shooting all the birds (like they usually do) so I guess it will work out. Can't wait to see you on the Gunflint!!!