• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SpearFest Info "FEB 6Th CONFIRMED" (FLYER ADDED)

I talked to Joel this morning (He is the front runner in putting on Spearfest) He will be sending out reminders and flyers to past participants this next week he said.

It will be held on February 6th and registration and weigh-in will be on Spring Lake by Prior Lake.

Entries are allowed Friday Night the 5th and Saturday morning.

Cost is $25 and Stocking Hats with Spearfest Logo is on it for participants.

Cash Prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place fish.

I attended it last year for the first time and it was a blast. Spearing is allowed on any legal lakes as long as your fish have been weighed in by the blow of the horn at 4pm Saturday. Many door prizes are given away and everyone usually wins something.

scan0001.jpg

bass and spear I like the sounds of that if I remember right 1st place was a pretty good prize. Browning knows where the big ones are he has been pretty lucky this year but he also didn't get any big ones last year so he was due and he puts his time in

Whew... I thought it was just me. I speared 3 days in a row, Fri - Sun w/o getting a fish. eek

Today I left the spearing gear at home and got 3 pike and a huge bass b4 lunch. Being outside on a sunny day was a nice change from the darkhouse, plus wayyyyyy less work.

A couple of the fish came in more than once. Today was one of those days the only way I could get them to come in was to jig my artificial agressively. The problem was they would come in and out full speed. Any advice Elwood?

A couple of the fish came in more than once. Today was one of those days the only way I could get them to come in was to jig my artificial agressively. The problem was they would come in and out full speed. Any advice Elwood?

I will tell you what you already know.

If they are coming too fast you are jigging too hard.

More than likely if you don't jig enough they won't come in.

When this happens for me I go to the HB spinner.

The flash brings them in but it is consistent and not erratic so they don't come in and hammer it.

MJ merk nailed it! for some reason the spinning spoon draws those pike in and they just sit there content on watching the spoon last year all the pike that I speared that came to the spoon came in slow and stopped and just watched it except one and tha one slammed it dropped it and sat right under the spoon for about 45 seconds coulds maybe been longer but I speared it grin

another thing you can use to spin spoons is those old egg beaters or and old hand drill hook it up to a line and a spoon then giver a few turns on the handle so it twists up the line line and your spinning spoons or even decoys. alot of old timersdo this with great success. The HBS is just a modern version of the old timeers way of doing it.T HBS doesnt spin decoys the greatest thou.

HBS doesnt spin decoys the greatest thou.

It will spin short decoys OK but not long ones.

I think that is a function of the string twisting.

If you could put a piece of solid wire that would not twist down to your decoy I am pretty sure it would spin most decoys.