• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Long-tailed Weasel / Pine Grosbeak

Borealhunter

This Ermin is visiting the Arkola Rd feeder and munching down on the deer carcass. I have other photos of it in the deer ribs ripping away at it. The Red Squirrel wasn't so happy with his new neighbor as it chased the Long-tailed Weasel back in his hole a few times. Also the Gray Jays are very nervous with this guy in the deer carcass eating away at the suet and meat.

Saw a new Hawk Owl today on Nichols Lake Rd. Unfortunately the sky was way to dark for photos and also got up a nice Spruce Grouse ( female ) in Lake Co but again no light.

Jim A. Hey I got a photo by a birder who photographed a Pine Martin at your feeder on the McDavitt Rd. It was taken last Sunday morning. I was there today and saw several Purple Finches there!! Great site!

No Great Gray Owls reported today in the bog and Lake Co.

Long-tailedWeasel.jpg

PineGrosbeak.jpg

Excellent Boreal Hunter. I was watching this guy on Monday. When the red squirrel showed up the weasel was gone but the squirrel spent considerable time smelling the holes in the snow that the weasel had been using. The grosbeak photo is excellent.

Say sir, where is the feeder on Mcdavitt Road?

Say sir, where is the feeder on Mcdavitt Road?

It's a couple hundred yards off the road into the woods. I don't know that jmalm, who set it up, is all that eager to put the jumping off point here on the open forums. I'll let him provide it if he wants to.

It also sounds, from our talks last Saturday, like carcasses are in short supply this year, and in another few weeks, unless more are found, that'll be pretty much the end of it. I reckon JayinMN and jmalm are the two guys to get in touch with if you know of sources.

Very cool shots Mike of that little Weasel but I still have not found one myself but I am sure it just takes time for them to find the easy meal we set out for them wink I think that is great that some one was able to get a shot of a Pine Martin. I am going to have to keep a eye out for the little guy. I have another rib cage that I will bring out and if things get tough there are plenty of road kills that I could stop and grab if needed.

Shawn it is about a mile north of the tracks on the east side. It has pretty decent light most of the day and I have seen the female Blackback there as well as Redpolls and Purple Finch's.

Thanks guys, I know where it is now. I was wondering why there was such a track highway going in at that point smile I have a full cage of deer ribs that have been sitting outside for a bit now. I will check and see if they are still any good (been warm lately....) and if they are, I'll get them out there and hang em.

I had grand plans this year and installed a feeding station in Hedbom Bog at the end of December. Two seed feeders and a full set of ribs hung out there too. Only thing is, the big storm hit, I don't think they are logging out there this year so no one is plowing that road out. I foolishly tried to get out there following someone elses' tracks and was nearly never heard from again. So there goes that station down the tubes frown Anyway, I'll also try looking around to find some more cages, did not realize they were in short supply.

Shawn part of the reason they are in short supply is that we did not find as many in the bog and the fact that I quit deer hunting and did not stick around camp long enough to help process the meat. Last year we had to many and this year we have to look a little harder but they around. i would think that yours should be good enough for the bird or other critters that want to nibble.