• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Honda Big Red Question

MJBaldwin

Alright guys here is the deal I bought this 1983 Honda 200E for dirt cheap and its very clean. When I bought it the guy said he has had it just sitting in his garage for quite some time now. The problem is I got it started the first few times ran well after for awhile and now it seems like it would only run on choke. So I asked you guys what I should do and most replies said clean the carburetor. Well I was looking on HSO-Classifieds one day and found a brand new one for 20 bucks so I just bought the new one and figured that would solve the problem. Well after getting it installed it still just doesn’t want to seem to keep going? I mean I know it’s cold out but shouldn’t it still start? Here are the things I think it might be please let me know if I should do them or not. Number one check the spark plug looks like a new one but you never know? Number two is the petcock? My buddies dad said that his always would get clogged where there is like this screen? Mine I cannot take apart but found a new one on HSO-Classifieds for around 15 bucks. Let me know what you think guys! Thank you guys!!

Just because you have a new to you carb doesn't make that one any better, but I think you're right to check the rest of the fuel system. Are the carb screw setting correct? Are you sure the fuel lines are hooked up correctly? Take pictures of it, and remove the tank, petcock, and fuel lines. Make sure they are all clear and clean and flush the tank a couple of times with a little gas. I'd just replace the fuel lines even if they are clean, but that's your call.

Alright I will replace the fuel lines I mean they look fine but I know you can pick up a few feet for dirt cheap so that I am not too worried about. I am almost positive it is hooked up right. As for settings not too sure I thought there was only the one setting which was the idle. Have you heard of that problem with the petcock getting clogged? I appreciate all of the help McGurk

I'm not sure what kind of gas cap they have, but it might also be an issue of the gas tank not being vented properly. Also look in the air box if you haven't already to make sure there's no obstructions. Especially if it's been sitting for so long.

I also have a 25 year old 3 wheeler, and I never rule out anything. Everything can get clogged, and realistically you just bought someone elses problems when you bought an older machine. No matter how clean it may be in looking at it, no amount of washing the engine and fenders will clean out a carb. grin

The tanks are metal and can and do rust. The petcock can get clogged with debris and varnish from old gas, and even if dirty gas gets through it can clog your carb. If it is running only on choke you have a fuel restriction somewhere, whether it is a screw setting or a clogged orifice.

It sounds like you have 2 carbs, so take the one that is off now and get a nice clean well-lit work area to get that apart, and some little containers to put stuff in so you don't lose them. Do all of this at your own risk as I am talking completely off the top of my head and have no professional mechanics background.

There are diagrams out there that show how a carb should be set up and where the lines go. I'm just guessing, but on the outside of the carb but there should be an idle adjustment screw, and an "air jet" adjustment screw that probably has a spring around the shaft. A good starting point for the air screw is to screw it in until it snugs up (DO NOT CRANK THIS SHUT!!!) and then back it out 2 complete turns. The idle screw setting will be set after you have it running well, but start with it a little higher than you'd like so it stays running.

Another setting is actually inside the carb where the round "slide" is attached to the throttle cable and its main "needle jet" clip setting. There are typically 5 notches on the needle that the clip can attach to, and try the middle (#3) clip setting first. While you have it apart look at the point of the needle to see if there is damage to it (bent or rounded off).

McGurk,

You are right about that with the older toys the more problems. Anyways I just wanted to say that now it doesnt even want to start seems like it will wanna get going with choke all the way on but then wont fire. Let me know if that would make is something else. Also I know where the Idle adjusment screw is but I dont know where the air jet screw is I looked on a diagram I found online and I couldnt see it on there eaither. I will take a look at that maybe tonight when I get home. But you dont think it would be that petcock thing?

Thanks again man

It needs 3 things to run: Fuel, Air, and Spark. Easy way to get something started: Find that air jet screw with the spring on it (It may even be able to be turned by hand with grooved sides on the head) and set it to 2 turns out. Make sure the plug wire it not corroded and is tight. Pull the air filter off, make sure there isn't a mouse house in the neck to the carb, and leave it off for now.

It ran before: you know you have spark. The filter is off: you know you have air. Shoot some starting fluid down the carb while the throttle is held open: you know you have some fuel. Try it. If it starts and runs now, you know you are getting fuel. If it starts and dies you have a fuel delivery issue. Refer to my previous post.

This crud can get frustrating; don't give up. Done for the day so I prob won't post for a while. Good Luck!