• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are all (most) professionals using digital?

I have a bet with a friend who said the best, professional photographers still use film cameras. I strongly disagree but need something evidence to back it up. Other than a 'purist' who still enjoys playing with the development, is there any reason a professional would still use film?

Vast majority have gone digital that use a 35mm format. I do know of a couple who still use film for a couple of reasons. One, that they feel so comfortable with film that they refuse to change to digital, and two, because it forces them to completely think through a shot to have what they want to begin with, rather than "flock shoot" with several digital images and pick what they like the best. To each his own. I am guessing that that a fair number of medium format users still go with film - though I don't have much empirical evidence to back that up. Medium format digital cameras are SUPER expensive, even by today's standard. Though some residual film users claim that you can still get some effects from film that you can't with digital, digital users will argue the point.

I'd turn it around and say that some of the very best photographers in the world who use medium and large format are still using film. No large format digital option, and as Ken mentioned, a medium format digital camera costs enough to finance a revolution in many third-world countries.

And I agree that nearly all pro 35mm photographs are shooting digital.

I think you and your friend both win. smile

How are you going to settle the bet and decide who wins? Are forum opinions going to decide the outcome?

"the best, professional photographers still use film cameras"

In which field? I doubt there are any professional sports shooters shooting film and very few wildlife shooters. Probably a few landscape and portrait shooters still use film but I doubt it's a very high percentage these days. Very few wedding photographers are likely to be using film, the high ISO advantage of digital in dim settings is about impossible for film to overcome.

I would think most Medium format shooters as Steve mentioned still shoot film. I am friends with a commercial shooter that occasionally shoots a digital back that comes with a full computer system tethered to it. I don't recall the MP's but it was huge! The camera is not capable of processing the files at all. 35mm shooters... I would guess the vast majority have switched. Nothing but pure conjecture on my part though smile