• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Not enough heat

machohorn

need help,, We have a programmable thermostat set at 69, set to go off 1 hour b4 I get home and 1 hour b4 we get up. only problem is dang thing never gets above 61, We changed batteries, changed it to "Hold the Temp" but it never fails runs the sits until it gets 61 then runs to about 64 then shuts down again. Changed filters etc. Do I need to pull the carpet up, lay granit down and burn wood piles to get more heat? because I am about ready to.

It sure sounds like the thermostat is broken. I have had great like with the cheap Honeywell thermostats and have used them on our forced air at home and on a boiler when we had a cabin. The boiler had to be adjusted to start earlier and quit earlier but it still worked great.

We had the exact same issue and thought it was the programmable thermostat. Turned out it was the control module on the high-efficiency propane furnace that was malfunctioning and wouldn't allow the furnace to run long enough to reach the temp requested by the thermostat. Apparently Honeywell, which has been producing great products for a long time, produced a line of control modules that were substandard and never did a recall, so furnace techs have spent the last several years replacing them with improved models.

When the furnace would quit on its own, we'd get a flashing light code on the control module that specified "soft lockout," and there were nine possible different problems that can cause the soft lockout on our furnace.

So it sure could be the thermostat, but it might also be an issue with the furnace. I know it sucks to write the check for a service tech to come out and check things over, but sometimes it's the best option. Even though I run a handyman service, I don't fool with furnaces beyond the basics.

You just jogged my memory Steve and it was the furnace at work and it had the same type of symptoms and yes it was a part down in the furnace. It was a newer high efficiency type furnace. The strange part was the fact that we got rid of the old mercury type thermostat and put in the cheap Honeywell and it work for about a month and we noticed it was colder and was not the fault of the thermostat. It did take 2 service calls to get the problem resolved.

.... so furnace techs have spent the last several years replacing them with improved models.

When the furnace would quit on its own, we'd get a flashing light code on the control module that specified "soft lockout," and there were nine possible different problems that can cause the soft lockout on our furnace.

So it sure could be the thermostat, but it might also be an issue with the furnace. I know it sucks to write the check for a service tech to come out and check things over, but sometimes it's the best option. Even though I run a handyman service, I don't fool with furnaces beyond the basics.

HVAC guys gotta make a living too. wink That is one thing about living in MN. We all need heat. For the most part I find that the programable Tstats are not worth the effort. Most people do not give themselves enough time to get the house heated up to the point they want it to be. It takes a lot more energy to reheat a home than it does to keep it at a consistant temp.

But hey, hvac guys have a way of letting people talk themselves into things that work out for them (the hvac guys) in the end. Be it a programable Tstat that is impossible to set up the way you want it. Or running your units in a maner that causes it to wear out quicker. Homeowner's always right. wink

Just my oppinions, both as a homeowner, and a .... well a guy who might have instaled a Tstat or two....

Like Steve said, sometimes there are things best left to those who get paid to take care of them. Furnaces are one of those things.

Well I goota do something, the lil mrs is starting to grow out her leg hair trying to stay warm, just not right ,,, I thought it might be something I overlooked so now the next plan I guess is to write a check. Well there goes this weeks minnow money. Thanks for the help.

You could try and hard wire your stat to see if its a furnace problem or a stat problem. First turn off power to the furnace, than take off your stat, then wire the red wire and white wire together and your furnace should run untill you disconnect the two wires.That should tell you if its a furnace problem or a stat problem. I used to be in hvac, an that should be and easy test for you to try. If it ends up being the stat just buy a new one and connect the wires just like they came off the old one just do it with the power to the furnace off or you could make a short and blow a small fuse on the circuit board the most furnaces have. If the furnace does'nt stay running untill you disconnect it theres probally something wrong with the furnace and you will have to break down and call a service tech.