• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hand signals

PmDavis300

i know when groups of riders are on the trail they use hand signals to indicate that there are riders following and finger signals to indicate which number of the group they are etc. but as a single rider, do i need to use any hand signals to acknowledge them or anything like that?

You dont' need to use anything when alone other than maybe a friendly wave. wink

Some (ATV riders)will signal with a "facing forward closed fist" to show there's no one behind. Not sure if sledders are the same.

When you are riding alone, a closed fist means there is no one else with you, or if you are the last rider in a group it means you are the last. One finger means one more coming, two fingers means two more behind you, and so on. Its a good system and helps oncoming sleds know that your group is fully passed.

how many riders are wearing gloves vs. some sort of mitt these days. I've been out of snowmbiling for several years and haven't kept up with the gear.

The other alternative for riders following behind is to stick out your thumb waving your arm in a hitch-hiker motion.

I would give everyone in the group a closed fist. Can't ever communicate too little. When you are passing a group you should be going slow enough already that it shouldn't be too hard to signal everyone. At least on most of the trails I ride (fairly narrow)

My wife rides with mits instead of gloves and I tell her to do an open palm for more riders and the closed fist for last rider. Not sure if it is right or not, but with mits on there isn't much for options.