• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adventures in lure making - soft plastics cont.

dscf1461c.jpg

did this tonight as well as the senkos laugh

I'm still working on getting a perfectly steady hand for pouring, I'd prefer them to not to have nicks showing from where I trimmed excess plastic.

This was my first attempt at getting sucker colors.

Looks like you do nice work. You should make a super soft drop shot minnow bait. The panic minnows are my fav now, but you have to get them online and the color I like is tough to find... They are made by density lures, you should check them out if you haven't already... I like the fact that you put eyes on them!

I got this mold right at the end of fall, I didn't get to experiement with it much but took it out twice and caught a few nice bass and some real nice pike. My first couple casts with it in the river by my house yeilded about a 5lb cat and a 4lb smallie the next day, then we went into the cold in October and never really got to throw it again. I am really looking forward to testing it out this summer!!

014-1.jpg

Check out Larry Dahlberg's site. I think it's [Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.] He has a bunch of videos about making plastics and molds and such. Pretty intersting stuff. He even caught live dragonfly larvae, stuck them on sticks, made a mold and poured perfect replicas. Looked sick!

Lol river rat, you mean THIS mold?

dscf1463c.jpg

There was a guy who was selling some of his used molds so I picked this one up from him. I can't wait for bass opener. I've done some bathtub tests and am super excited to try out all my lures in the water for real.

What do you use for your mold-making material? Plaster of paris? RTV silicone? Where do you get it?

I'm currently carving two chunky swimbait masters for casting molds, one is a paddletail and one is a curly tail, out of some leftover wood I had for making hard lures. They're going to have internal wire harnesses and weights, with hanging belly trebles, and MAYBE a dorsal hook?