• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cameras and Cold

I received a Kodak EasyShare MD41 camera for Christmas this year...I was wondering if it's ok to take these outdoors (like ice-fishing) and have them exposed to the below zero temperatures for extended periods of time?

The real problem is when you bring them into a heated room and they are cold they will get condensation on them. If you find that happening you can stick the camera in a plastic bad and seal it that way the condensation will be on the outside of the bag. I was out last Sunday morning and I know it was at least -20 and I ended up having frost on the outside of my camera from my cheek resting against it. I was outside most of the day but always put my camera in a large Ziplock every time I got back in the car and it dried out just fine.

Zep, I keep my digital point-n-shoot in an inside coat or vest pocket, or in a soft-side cooler with my lunch (which starts the day at room temperature). You can leave them out in intensely cold temps for some time, but battery life/strength goes very fast, and most of the P&S cameras aren't made to regularly handle really extreme conditions.

I treat point and shoots just like Steve does, keep it inside your coat and only pull it out when needed. The batteries really don't last long if they just are in the cold.

If you do leave it sit outside for a long period of time just slip it back in your coat or its case and leave it there. When you go in to a heated space it will do a nice gradual warm up.

The other thing to remember is to pull the memory card out before you go in a warm space and just put that in your pocket. You don't want moisture to build up and cause any issues with your card or camera.

I don't use a plastic bag for putting my camera in coming out from the cold. I just use the camera case itself and keep it zipped up. It gives you a nice gradual warm up and in over 25+ years of shooting in the cold have never once had a problem. The key is to let the camera warm up gradually, not shock it with heat.

I also use chemical hand warmers taped (with gaffers tape) to the bottom or body of the camera. You do need to keep them covered with a glove for instance or cover with the tape to retain heat but I've shot for hours in very cold temps and barely needed to warm up the body. The lens of course is a different story, still need to warm that up gradually.