• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snares in the Zax ZIm Bog

Jim Almquist

I ran into a photographer ( JayinMN's high school teacher)in the bog who had let his dog run loose around the feeder on Owl Ave. and when the dog failed to return after he had called him a number of times he started to look around and found him caught in a snare and it was so tight the dog could not bark so be careful were you let your pets run. The season ends on 1-9-10.

Thanks Jim, for putting this on the forum. My name is Gerry S. and it was my dog that ran into the snare. My wife and I were going to Duluth so we drove through the bog and stopped at Johnnie S.'s feeder on Owl Avenue. I didn't see much for birds so I let the dog out and was going to fill the feeder with sunflower seeds before we took off. The dog, a cocker, normally sniffs around and chases the red squirrels but this time she disappeared in thin air. After about 10 minutes of hollering and whistling, I was able to see her directly in back of the feeder with the snare around her neck. It wasn't more than 10-15 feet in back of the feeder.

Luckily, she hadn't panicked, but was just standing there looking at me. The snare was really tight on her but she was ok.

I guess I can blame myself for this but never did I think someone was going to set a snare right next to one of the feeder stations in the Bog. I have frequented the Bog for years and never had this happen. I've since been told this same trapper has been setting snares at the other feeders in the Bog also. I am not a trapper and don't know the laws but I would think ethically there would be other places to set snares than at a place where so many birders stop to view birds. Fortunately, everything turned out okay but I guess my dog will have to be on a leash out in the Bog from now on. I thought the Bog was one place where a dog could have some fun.

As Jim said, if you bring your pets out there with you, be careful!

Gerry

Thank you for posting all the details Gerry. Always better to hear it first hand. Glad that your pup is just fine and it really is too bad that he has to be on a leash or at least until Sunday. The Bobcat season ends on Saturday so I will check to see if any traps are not picked up after the 9th.

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. I do stop in here and check out what's going on. When I was posting on the Canon forum, I ran into you once in awhile. This looks like a good group of guys and gals on here! There's not the arguing that seems to eventually happen on the other forums.

Take care and hope everyone has a great time at the Bog tomorrow!

Gerry

http://www.pbase.com/paddler

PS Tell that young whippersnapper, JayInMn, to behave tomorrow and let the others get a few pics of the GGO and crossbills or he will have to do 50 push-ups and 100 sit-ups. Ken is still teaching PE so he has the authority to make sure he does it!!!

Welcome to the board and I am glad to hear your dog is okay. I take mine down there all the time with me too.

Now about sharing those GGOs. It seems like every time I try to share them with others they get shy and hide.... eek

I guess I better be prepared for a work out!

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. I do stop in here and check out what's going on. When I was posting on the Canon forum, I ran into you once in awhile. This looks like a good group of guys and gals on here! There's not the arguing that seems to eventually happen on the other forums.

Take care and hope everyone has a great time at the Bog tomorrow!

Gerry

Hey Gerry:

I remember that. It was the 'ol paddler handle that gave you away. winkwink

The Canon forums and most others are quite the free-for-alls, with few observed rules. We like to keep things more civilized in here. smilesmile

Glad to hear your dog came out of the snaring episode relatively unscathed. Never fun to see your buddy in trouble or hurting. What Steve said about the civility of the individuals posting in these bird watching threads. We may not always agree or see things in quite the same light (no pun intended for those posting the beautiful photos here) but we do share a love of the feathered creatures we occupy this blue marble with. That seems to help keep things in perspective. Welcome! grin