• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Video format conversion program

Anyone with an idea on a decent program to convert .mts files to .wmv or .mpeg?

We bought a new Canon HF20 HD video camera, recorded 2 hours of HD video and downloaded to the computer to burn to a disc, or most likely just put on a 1TB external hard drive.

My problem is none of the programs I have recognize the .mts files, therefore not being able to convert to something that the PS3 will recognize.

I know there is more of a "look at my pictures" and "what lenses are you using" aspect to this part of HSO, but are there any video pros or experts that can lead me in the right direction?

BTW, 2 hours of HD video is about 32 gb, the reason I'm leaning to the 1TB HDD.

I have recently entered the realm of HD video so I am learning as well! First didn't your camera come with some form of software? I know my 7D uses one of the free Canon programs that came with the camera to convert video to a more popular format. I would be shocked if your camera didn't come with something.

MPEG Streamclip is freeware that may or may not do the job, it works with my camera. It is highly regarded among video editors as a conversion program. Not sure about .mts files though but since it is free it wouldn't hurt to try it. Format Factory is another free program that may work, I haven't used it.

I found a pay converter that looks like it would work well called Emicsoft MTS Converter, about $35 bucks. I've used a number of programs for video editing as well that may do that conversion but you will be spending upwards of $60. If you will be doing any editing ( and you will with that camera ) you need a good video editing program and a BIG computer. You start working with HD video files and not only is your hard drive space important but your computer itself is important.

I've shot a number of HD clips and run a fairly high end computer and even mine will choke on some of these files. If you want more specific advice on some of the programs I've dabbled in just let me know.

I just picked up two 1 Tb external hard drives myself, partly because we're also getting into HD video for weddings. Not going the route of the 7D, but getting a dedicated HD video cam that my wife will use while I'm taking the stills. Got a quite beefy new computer setup coming to make it all easier, too.

So it'll be another learning curve. Learning. It NEVER stops! gringrin

I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something that we can keep records of the kids as they grow up.

It came with some software which I can edit the video, but it then changes the format from a .mts file to a .es5 file.

I cannot find anything that will even acknowledge the .es5 format, but I have found a couple of programs which convert the .mts files to either .wmv or .mpeg or basically whatever format I want, a product called "Total Video Converter", which is free for 15 days, but then $45.

I just don't know which format I should convert to. I suppose with the 2 hours of video broken down into 10 second to 12 minute segments, I should just convert some of the smaller ones to different formats, and then see which end product we like the best.

I also have a Sony Vaio laptop which the PS3 recognizes as a media server, so I'm trying to find a format that the PS3 will play, but the last part of this post will have to be transfered to the "Computer and Electronics" forum. grin

The huge interest in video since it has been adapted to DSLRs is something I can't wrap my head around.

Video cameras have been around forever,but now it matters because it's in HD? I don't get it. crazy

I can see the short dof from a F1.4 lens in a video being something to look at and say "hmmmm,ya,cool" but after that 1st look-what then?

I'm already seeing people posting 7D HD video of their cats playing with cat toys! Ok,so now I can have a more "crisp","clear" visual of your cats at play. Uh boy. crazy

From an adv. or commercial standpoint maybe someone can benefit from it if they have some serious equipment to light a scene and steady the rig.

HD video must be similar to the new high mp cameras in showing tech errors. The reason I say that is I viewed some HD video from a DSLR that was shot by a 30+ year photog who represents one of the 2 giants in the camera industry. Thousands of $$ in equip. to support it all and his video was still shaky and jerky enough to make you sick. Not cool.

To do some serious high quality video work requires some serious,serious dollars-at least that's what Vincent Laforet said!

Scott Bourne-a noted photographer said in an interview that the $1699 price of a 7D makes creating quality videos within reach of anyone. Five minutes later he rattled off a list of equip he purchased to use with the 7D,everything from sound mics,gaffs,specialized lights,fluid heads,etc. He proudly stated the extra equip cost him $23,000 !! Ya,that's within reach of your average Joe! laugh

I need alot more years of practice just getting still images nailed down,but moving ones? No thank you. wink

i would say look at what format your desired player will play... there is always a way to make your "trial" program turn into a free program if you are resourceful enough on the internet you can basically find anything. I dont want to exactly say how to do it on here as I would probabaly get banned....

What format you use and how you shoot the video, how you want to display the video, HD or not, on line or not, which codec's work best for which format, etc. will have a large say in what format you want to convert to. Shooting 720p, 1080i, 24fps, 30fps, 60fps, there is so much to consider based on what you want to do with the work. Believe me working with HD video is very complicated depending on how you want the final product to look.

There are a few forums dedicated to this type of work, believe me I would not want to send someone away from here but this is a very specialized field. I have already made so many mistakes and discovered how little I know about shooting HD video it would make you laugh. But I've learned a ton with making those mistakes as well.

Take your time, take a look at the programs I mentioned above, see which of the formats you convert to will be best for your work flow and for your computer and player. Some formats are huge and will be difficult to work with on most any machine! Download demos of the programs you are considering, one at a time only so you can work with it for the whole trial period. When one expires move on to the next. You will start to see what works and doesn't work for you.

DBL -

I know a large number of the forums as well. My wife yearly threatens to divorce me (tongue in cheek) because I'm always looking (researching) at things on the interwebs.

I decided to post here, hoping that I would get more of a nuts / bolts approach to video, rather than a bunch of techy techy talk.

I'm not looking to make copies of home mnovies and distribute them to Blockbuster or stream them on Netflix.

We had an old(er) mini-dv based Canon camcorder that's been giving us fits, and when we tried to view the video on the 46" Samsung, the video looked like h e double hockey sticks.

For Christmas, the family's big present was a Canon HF20. I've gotten (2) hours of video downloaded to the computer, to the tune of 32 gb. I've converted a 20 second clip to both WMV and MPEG so far, which the PS3 recognized on the media server (laptop).

The WMV played in HD, the MPEG did not, however the WMV was choppy, although I suspect it was because of going over the wireless network and not being hard wired.

My next trick is to download them to the 1TB hard drive and then plug that into the PS3 and see if it'll play straight from the HDD. IF not, there's a product now called WDTV which you just plug your HDD into, and you watch the movies through that.

I think a book is in order. I know I'd like to see one. Anyone know of a good book out there on the ins and outs of HD video? Sort of like the Scott Kelby Photoshop books?

Meanwhile, I don't know of anyone frequenting this forum who is expert at HD video, though there are a handful of people who hang out in other HSO/FM forums who I know are into it.

I would definitely suggest you add your inquiry to the computer forum, as I know some of those folks may have help for you. And keep looking back in here. The more and varied the threads that show up on this photography board, the more and varied types of expertise we get in here to reply to them. smile

What you say makes sense. WMV HD is huge but retains HD playback. This is also why you have some stuttering on playback! I do know that format is supported by the PS3 but again your hardware requirements on your computer are very high! I've found you get great quality but it is so difficult to work with because of the size! If I recall you need to shoot at least in 720p and 24p which is standard movie fps.

MPEG depending on which version (2 or higher) will support HD but only supports certain fps like 29fps. Again depending on which MPEG only certain aspect ratios are supported on your TV. For instance MPEG 2 only supports a letterboxed 16:9 aspect ratio. Carefully used MPEG and the proper codecs should get you a good HD video with out maxing out your hardware requirements.

Do a bit of research on these two formats and you will gain a better understanding of what should work in your PS3. I wish this could be non-techie but the more I learn about it the more techie it actually becomes!

Actually, the fact that I'm not getting blasted with "you have to do this, this and this" makes me feel more comfortable. I know that at least I'm not the only one trying to figure this out.

The WMVHD clups play smooth on the computer, which is what leads me to believe the reason tehy're playing choppy on the TV is the wireless part, which again belongs more in the computer forum than the photo forum.

Thanks for your help so far guys!!