• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Canon 70-200 announced

Anyone looking at taking the plunge?

Looks like $2,000+ for the New Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS. Possibly a bit higher, as much as Nikon is asking for their newly redesigned 70-200.

Redesigned with supposed increased sharpness capability to go along with the newest high Mp count bodies. IS supposed to deliver four full stops of stabilization. Redesigned lens element structure.

Yikes, blew that one! Thanks for the correction, Tom. smilesmile

I'll go back in and correct that in the OP so there won't be confusion. crazy

I know there is a need for increasingly sharp lenses capable of resolving the high Mp sensors that are coming out in the newer cameras, but I'd sure like to have seen them redesign the 100-400 to give it a twist zoom and tweak sharpness a bit wide open at 400mm. For my money, the 70-200 wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

But that's OK. It'll bring used prices down on the 70-200 Mk1 just as I'm getting back into buying that lens used. Works for me!

Quote:
For my money, the 70-200 wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

Ditto. The existing model is better than 99.9% of photographers out there! grin

I did find a used 800mm 5.6L IS in Illinois for $7700 thats only been used twice. smile

I have the wife about 60% there. The last 40% could be tough-but dinner at Red Lobster and a chick flick always grease the skids to get things moving. smirk

If you're getting it that cheap you could easily sell her on it as an investment. It's worth quite a bit more than $7,700.

Agreed,totally logical. The subject of new kitchen cabinets always seems to gum up the works. Then I told her that new kitchen cabinets wouldn't make her a better cook.

A larger can of worms I could not have opened. frown

Originally Posted By: Steve Foss
If you're getting it that cheap you could easily sell her on it as an investment. It's worth quite a bit more than $7,700.

Agreed,totally logical. The subject of new kitchen cabinets always seems to gum up the works. Then I told her that new kitchen cabinets wouldn't make her a better cook.

A larger can of worms I could not have opened. frown

Dude, you weren't thinking clearly. Buying the 800 low and selling it high would finance a goodly portion of new kitchen cabinets. Of course, now that you already put your foot in your mouth about the cooking thing, you're well and truly hosed. gringrin