• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

first fish of the year

drakerebel

after many years away from the spear, i finally saw (and missed) my first fish this year grin . oh, patience is a virtue. man i love the feeling you get when the fish slides into view, same feeling for me as a deer coming into range.

yeah, it's funny how the feeling of regret comes after a miss. you think how you should've waited longer, that it would've come back, that you should've done this/done that.

it reminds me of a flock of ducks/geese that you take a shot at (and miss) and you always wonder what wouldn've happened if you would've waited.

what was cool today though was seeing the bunch of perch at my hole scatter when mr. pike came cruising in. i was jigging at the time playing keep away from the baby perch.

I know exactly what you mean about the regret, if I'd just taken a little more time I would have got the fish. I saw him cruise in a couple feet below my decoys and I grabbed my spear, accidentally hit the ceiling with it and then dropped it...3 inches off the pike...

i know, it's awesome. i swear that it should be called hunting. smirk

it doesn't seem quite the same as sitting on a chair waiting for a bobber to dissappear, no...better yet, you get to see this submerged log of a fish come into view...seemingly in slow-motion but yet it slips yet so fast before the crosshairs can be aligned grin

i agree Elwood, i need to get "a fix" as well. the only pike i have in my freezer is from a rattle reel while walleye fishing. i'm hoping to gather a few more before i try my first pickling attempt eek

drakerebel check out coldone"'s pickeling recepie its the one I use Its tough to screw it up. I have to work for three days this week then I'm going to spear three differnt lakes the rest of the week. Man I need a fix

Feels like both and after tommarrow it might be spearing.

New job heading my way but whats nice is the hours 3-11pm plenty of time to spear then nap then work then spear then nap well you get the idea

And yea Smoking dude I remember how wore out you got at the GTG last year so I thught I should quit laugh