• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

downloads to mp3?

My kids got mp3 players for xmas. The instruction booklet that came with the mp3 player is useless. I am sure this topic has been discussed endlessly, but could someone please help me. I don't have any experience doing this. How do you download music to the mp3 player, ie. what is the procedure? How do you do it safely?

Kind of depends. If its pretty basic MP3 player and you have MP3's on your PC already (from CD's you own) then you should be able to plug it in to your PC and just copy them over.

Otherwise you can either use a download service (such as iTunes, Napster, etc...) depending on what your player is compatible with or make MP3's from your existing CD's using various software (Windows media for one).

It helps if you tell us what brand it is because if it is a Ipod it can only use MP3 files but if it was a Creative Labs it would also play WMA files but the files would have to be inside a folder that was inside another folder. If the music is coming off a CD make sure to rip them as MP3 files because they take up less room which in turn will give you more music storage.

The mp3 player is a Coby brand. I don't have many cd's that the kids would want to listen to, so most of the music they want will have to be downloaded from an internet source. Is iTunes compatable with mp3 players or just Ipod?

When you download from Itunes just make sure the format is MP3. If your kid can not load the music by themselves make sure they are right by your side so you can teach them how or you will be spending way too much of your time. This info is from the FAQ page and it looks like you can use MP3 or WMA files.

From Cobys HSOforum:

How Do I Transfer MP3/WMA Music Files to my MP3 Player?

When your MP3 Player is connected to a computer, you may transfer music files to your MP3 player using your operating system's basic file management commands (i.e., copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop). Please refer to your computer's documentation for more information and support. If you have Windows Media Player installed on your computer (or another, similar program), you may choose to use its media management functions to transfer your files.

How Do I Play Music Purchased Online on my MP3 Player?

Music files you have downloaded from online stores (e.g., Napster, MusicNow, URGE, Walmart.com, and Y! Music) are encrypted with WMDRM and will play only on MP3 players with WMDRM support. In addition to an MP3 player with WMDRM support:

* To transfer and play purchased music, you will need Windows Media Player 9 or newer.

* To transfer and play subscription music, you will need Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 or newer.

My Youngest got a new MP3 player and it had crud for instructions but...get this...it had a flip out USB thing that once hooked up came with all the software and instruction already on it!

When I use Itunes I have to save them to disk and then upload them back up to Media player. Which is just fine since Id like a hard copy anyway

If I recall, Itunes will convert MP3 to M4A (or equivalent), but the problem lies when you purchase songs from Itunes, getting them to convert to MP3. This requires third party software. A converter.

Itunes=Apple, "My Music" or WMP=PC wink

Do some good searching on the converter you decide on. A ton of garbage floating around out their. Back up files before the download wink

Hey Shack!!! Good to hear from ya!!! How ya feelin? Hope your recovery is going well.

Thanks for the advice. I've been so busy that I haven't had time to sit down and work with this mp3 stuff much yet. My kids are being very patient with me. I am unfamiliar with all this, it all seems confusing. I was able to get cd's to download onto the computer and then onto the mp3 player. Now I just need to figure out how to purchase songs from the interenet and get them onto the mp3 player.

If you use Amazon to buy music rather than itunes they will be in .mp3 format and you will have non of the DRM issues of music from Apple.

Then just make a playlist in WMP and upload it to the player.