• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heating a garage???

kdawg

I'd really like to find a inexpensive yet effective way to heat my 3 stall garage so I can tinker on the sled every now and again. Does a guy just have to bite the bullet and get a heater hooked up to the house gas line, or are there cheaper ways that are effective and safe? One salesman told me that the bullet style heaters are not safe because they deplete the oxygen and put out carbon monoxide. How about the Mr. Heaters with a 20lb LP tank? Could a guy just leave a garage door cracked open slightly and use one of these? What do you guys do?

Other than running a gas line out and putting in a heater you can use a hanging LP heater. I just use a Nipco type torpedo or in my little garage the big buddy and sunflower but thats not insulated yet. We use Nipcos all the time on jobsites for months sometimes without problems, some are natural gas others are propane.

kdawg, best thing ever is insulating and putting in a gas furnace. Make sure it is vented, as those unvented gas/lp heaters keep all the moisture inside. They are good for occassional use, but if you plan to use it often, just bite the bullet. Find a hvac buddy and get an old used one. I put a new furnace in my house, and put the old home furnace in the garage. Works slick. I keep it at about 38-40 all winter long, and just hit the throttle on the thermostat during Wild or Vikes games or when tinkering smile

Patsrock is 100% correct!

You'll never regret it, it makes your garage into a year round getaway! 22 years ago, I even went a step further and put AC in the garage. (before I even had it in the house). Makes some of those hot muggy and buggy evenings into a usable night in the garage too.