• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Guru's

Esox_Magnum

Ok sled heads, few questions for you. My first sled again in 25+ years I picked up a 95 Polaris XLT Classic. Can you add the 2 up seat on it or are the 2up's frames different?? Also whats the best track for ice fishing, deep snow right now. It has a studded track now would it be worth swapping?. Also what other things should I know to keep it running great and pulling my shack. I will be switching it to Amsoil when it's time to add some. I do like the speed and power, if the spedos correct 80 in 2 blocks grin I will be checking it with the GPS sometime.

I'll throw out my opinion here. In the late 90's I owned a Polaris XLT SKS which was a nice machine (136" track, one up seat, no big deal). It radar'd in the low 80 mph range at a sponsored run, so you should be able to hit the mid 80 mph range with your machine without any problem. Carry an extra set of spark plugs, you will need them eventually, and don't choke it when warm;)

As far as your track, I would not change anything, as you are well set up for what you want to do. A different track will be expensive and will not give you much advantage, and the studs you have will give traction on bare ice.

For a "two up" seat, your sled is 15 years old, so you are pretty much limited to used stuff. Might be hard to find and probably would not be worth the effort. Just have a buddy sit on the back and hold on, and don't go too fast.

For Amsoil, since your sled uses mechanical oil injection, the lubricating ability of Amsoil to run at leaner mixtures does not apply, and it will just cost more to operate your sled. I would just buy the Fleet Farm oil and save a few bucks on this one.

Last, since the XLT motor uses a monoblock cylinder, please check your carbs, clean out the main jets, and make sure that you are running a fuel filter. Just one small bit of debris can lean out a cylinder and cause failure, requiring a new block. That could be very expensive.

Have fun fishing and be sure to wave to the 4 wheeler guys who are stuck in the slush after this storm!

Thanks for the heads up on the oil, as for carbs they were just gone through befor I got it. I'll haave to pick up a set of plugs, good idea.Did find out 3' of fluff it dont like but then again may be operator error, been awhile sine I have been on a sled.