• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracks on ATV? How much snow will they go thru?

BLACKJACK

Been contemplating my first ATV purchase and now with the deep snow was wondering whether I should check into getting one with tracks instead of wheels? How much snow can you go thru with a tracked ATV vrs a wheeled ATV's? Can you go thru/over as much snow as a snowmobile?

My primary use of the ATV will be for early and late ice fishing, pulling my portable and later pulling out my permanent house but I'm sure I'll find summertime uses also. How do tracks hold up for summer time use?

Pardon me if this has already been discussed but when I did a search on 'tracks' I found five pages of info - and none related to ATV tracks!!!!

A tracked ATV can go through a lot of snow. There's videos on the tube of a Polaris 6x6 in 5 feet of snow. The guys stops adn jumps off the machine. He sinks up to his shoulders. IMO a tracked ATV will got through as much as a snowmobile.

There are different track designs taht are either season specific or multi season use. Some you might want to look into are the Tatou (sp?) and Matttracks.

Keep in mind that tracks will be an extra purchase in the range of up to $3500. I would also recommend a machine in the 700 class or bigger (excluding the Honda Rincon) if you're serious about tracks.

I agree with Lep, but will take it one step further. I have seen tracked wheelers go more places then a sled. It depends on the machine and rider. As far as size, a 700 is a good goal but if you go with tatou you can go smaller as the drive wheel size is based on your wheeler. The second thing I would consider is power steering, tracks do turn much harder then tires. Look at [Admin Note: Please read Forum Policy before posting again. Thanks] the guys test tracks and will answer all your questions if you email them.

I agree with Lep, but will take it one step further. I have seen tracked wheelers go more places then a sled. It depends on the machine and rider. As far as size, a 700 is a good goal but if you go with tatou you can go smaller as the drive wheel size is based on your wheeler. The second thing I would consider is power steering, tracks do turn much harder then tires. Look at [Admin Note: Please read Forum Policy before posting again. Thanks] the guys test tracks and will answer all your questions if you email them.

Wish I would have checked back before that link got wiped out frown

Good advice on the power steering!!

With the few responses my guess is that not very may people use or know about ATV's with tracks, the higher price must scare them away. Still kind of curious how they hold up on normal summertime trail use.

I rode one at the local dealer on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed. It was a 500 Po Po with the Tatou 4S tracks. I took it into the mess of plowed slush in the road ditch where I know I would have been stuck with my 700 and it walked all over that stuff. I'm seriously contemplating a set of them, but it will bring up a couple of others issues. That is, an extension for hooking up the fishouse as well as an extension of some kind for the snow plow.

A friend of mine has them on a Ranger.He goes all over with his in the winter. Summer time it takes him a little under a hour to put the wheels back on and about an hour to puy the tracks on for winter. He just extended his plow about a foot.

I put tracks on a Grizzy 700 last year. It has plenty of power for what I want to do with it. When in MI last year we drove in the woods with alot of snow, the guad sank about 4" at most. When I jumped of to pick up stuff that I dropped, it was over my waist, I had a hard time getting back on. We also pulled a 2 place sled trailer on the lake with 4 portables, 3 guys and all our stuff. It just pulled thought the drifts, it did dig some but never stopped it. Also was going up snow piles 14' high, if it started to spin you stop, back up a little and go again until you get over. Yes they cost more but think about the places you can go this year aready. I bought my mattracks on the c for 2400. I won;t be with out them now.