• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Honda Big Red Question

MJBaldwin

I bought a 1984 Honda Big Red 200E for $300 the thing is in mint condition. But the only problem I am having is that it will start sometimes but then it will just die unless the choke is on? Does anyone know what this could be I was thinking If I cleaned or bought a new carburetor that would more than likely solve the problem. The guy that I bought it for had it stored under a tarp in his heated garage and said he hardly ever used if that helps any!

Thanks Guys!

Big Red,

I would start off cleaning the carb, I would take it off of the motor and bench clean it since it has been sitting in storage for that long. I would also drain any gas out of there and put in fresh gas because I have seen gas go bad in less than 6 months and gum up carbs (even with fuel stabil used).

When cleaning the carbs, I would use Amsoil power foam, when you spray inside and let it sit for a few min. to soak and wipe down with clean rags.

I hope this helps,

Tom

Carb carb carb! As was stated, get rid of that old gas and give that carb a GOOD once over. Not just a "carb cleaner spray through the inlet" cleaning, but a full, strip-down, parts-on-the-table hand cleaning.

Running only with the choke on typically means there is a gas restriction somewhere. Could be a fuel filter (in-line or in the tank), on/off/reserve petcock, or in the carb itself. More often than not it is in the carb itself, and like tomsnowmobile said, a bench cleaning will allow you to get very intimate with a carb. DO NOT buy a new carb for this until you at least try cleaning it.

If you are nervous about doing this, get an eggcarton and a camera. While disassembling, jot down notes and take pictures at each step, separating the parts into the "steps" for reassembly. The main jet will have ports that tend to be most often plugged, and an air compressor and carb cleaner will help clean them out without damaging anything. Some of these parts are brass and easily damaged, and it is not recommended that you use any kind of wire to open up and/or clean out ports.

I remember cleaning out a carb from a mid-80's ATV, and there were 2 big ports on the main jet, and a tiny one that I missed the first time around. If you can find a diagram it will help you out a lot. Good Luck!