• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rebuilding 340 polaris

river rat316

I had a sled gifted to me, it was originally a 500 efi but the guy blew that up, he then put a 340 from a 90 sport in it (near as i can tell) that blew up to, he tore it apart and lost interest. I have never really gotten this far into any engine. From what I can tell it needs one new piston both jugs honed and reringed. Its been sitting in my garage for a month now and it is kind of intimidating to me but I want to get it running. My questions are: where can I get the cylinders honed? and how do I check to make sure on sizing for the pistons? I don't want to order stuff and have it be all wrong.

bring the cylinders in to a dealer. they will be able to measure them for you and tell you how much of an oversized piston you'll need. once you get the new pistons, bring them along with the cylinders to a machine shop to get bored and honed. (you will need to know the piston/cylinder clearance. your dealer can get this spec. for you too) most auto parts stores have a machine shop it will cost you $50-$80 per cylinder to bore and hone. then put the motor back together with new gaskets and you're ready to go. I would also go through the carbs. make sure they're clean and check the jetting.