• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice on Lakes near Superior

Well, you know, the ice is 5 inches thick 20 ft from the landing, walked another 20 ft, drilled a hole, 4 inches, walked another 20 ft, drilled a hole, 3 inches, walked another 20, drilled a hole 2 inches, with a layer of slush! this sucks, its fricken mid-december and we dont even have walkable ice! hopefully by thursday, will have walkable ice. Im the only one thats walking out there right now, and I can garantee you ill be the first either fishing or kiting!

Was out on St Croix today and full size trucks were driving out. Ice was 14-16 inches thick where i went, although i didn't venture all over as i'm still new to the area. Headed back tomorrow to fish as was pretty much just scouting today.

Does anyone know if they are driving out on Minnesuing? I was out on St Croix yesterday and the ice is 14-16 inches but there's still slush pockets so I would advise you to drive only in the paths driven. Only caught a few small perch.

St Croix has good ice as it was over 16 inches and some measurements over 20. full size vehicles out there, but seemed to be only driving out from the 3 various accesses that are there to there spots. Didn't appear to be travel up and down the lake from access to access, I assume the possiblity of slush pockets still exist. Fished Wed morning 7-10am. Fished in 18-19ft of water. Fishing was slow but managed a few. Caught sunnies right on bottom using jigs with waxies and crappies suspended 2-4ft off bottom using jigs with minnows. The bites were very light as the bobbers barely moved. Still some action is better than none and never know til you go! Just good to be fishing.

Minnesuing is the last lake I would drive in that area as far as date is concerned. There is a lot of current in that lake. Best bet for driving is to see what is available by Sidelines. If you go off their landing, stay to the left as much as possible until you get out past the reed bed because of the current. Maybe you could drive down the channel on the EAST side of the island as that is wider. I would not try down that channel on the northwest side.

IMO, there are a ton of places to fish north of the island and I don't see too many spring holes up there. That main body of the lake south of the island is chock full of springs. I stepped through one a few February's ago off the west side. A: I was glad I was not in a vehicle, and B: NOT FUN!!!

I never fish in that far south section through the narrow channel in the winter so I can't help you out there. Sorry.

The St. Croix Flowage or known as Gordon Flowage has good ice. You can access at Tuveson's for a $1 fee and fish in front of there where there has been good gill and northern action. The ice was 16+ on Sat. 1-23. You can also access at the public access down farther. Yesterday morning a great guy plowed a road to Chicago Bay so it is very driveable. We measure 18+ inches of ice with some showing 22+. Caught a varity of fish, sunnies, crappie, and bass all on the same set up. Ice on the Upper St. Croix is really good as we have been driving a 3/4 ton full size up and down the lake for over two weeks. Most ice measures 20+ inches and there are multiple access sites to drive on with plowed roads out of them.