• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

river or greater????

roughfish29

I counted 13 dorsal fin rays which indicates a river redhorse. Caudal peduncle also appears to be too thin for a greater. Greaters usually have between 15-17 dorsal rays, and 15-16 scales around the caudal peduncle. River redhorse have 13-15 dorsal rays and 12 scales around the peduncle.

My overall impression makes me lean toward greater. It doesn't appear to have the prominent elongated snout of a river. Might be the camera angle.

Its worth noting that greater redhorse are well documented in that part of the river and are sampled with regularity, but it seems there are not any historic records of river redhorse in this stream. The distribution of river redhorse in MN is essentially restricted to the largest mainstem rivers.

Josh Knuth has a pic of a beautiful replica of a river here: http://www.knuthart.com/joshua/Images/mounts/river_redhorse.jpg

i was just found this out:

river redhorse in the cannon river (where this fish was caught) do not, and can not, live above the northfeild dam....this fish was caught above the northfeild dam.

this means that this fish has to be a greater redhorse

I recognized the spot from the pic but didn't want to name your fishing hole. 99.9% certain its a greater. I don't know of any documented occurrences of river reds in the Cannon, even below Byllesby.

Congrats on the nice catch - an excellent lifelist addition.

Josh Knuth has a pic of a beautiful replica of a river here: http://www.knuthart.com/joshua/Images/mounts/river_redhorse.jpg

It is even better looking in person!

My buddy caught the monster and long story short it died and I told him he had to mount it so I paid for it and it is at my house next to my other mounts! A 10 plus pound River Redhorse deserved to be remembered!

i just wanted to say this:

i feel EXTREMELY lucky to have gotten some of my life-listers this year. As you can tell from my signature, i've caught some very uncommon fish this year. And i am still very new to die-hard roughfishing.

i can't believe i ever thought of carp and suckers as "trash." i was missing out! I have come to love stalk-fishing for carp and suckers.

nothing beats the adrenaline rush that the run of a 20 pound carp gives you, and nothing is worse than agony of a break off with a 20 pound carp