• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Choke issue

bmc2b

I was getting my pantera 550 ready for this winter. I can get it started and idle/rev ok. I couldnt get it started with the choke at all, and cant keep it running with any choke as well. Does this sound like a choke issue, or a clogged carb?

I'm with Frank (confused) confused

Why would you want to choke the motor after it is idling ok? The choke should only be needed for starting and warm up.

Unless what you mean is that it will only run with the choke on and dies when you turn it off. If that is the case the idle circuit is plugged which means the carbs should have a complete cleaning.

It has always needed choke to get started and to warm up. I messed around trying to start it and when it finally fired up, I noticed the choke had gotten turned off. When I gave it half choke like it always has needed to finish warming up, it died. Thats why I was wondering what was different. It was about 40 degrees when I was firing it up.

The colder temp, the more fuel it will take to start a cold engine. The term choke here is a generic one. It means to add extra fuel for cold starts. Cold as in an engine that is cold. It could mean an actual butterfly which you don't have. You have a fuel enrichment type choke. Then there is the external plunger type primer that squirts fuel with each pump.

Normal cold start procedure with a butterfly or fuel enrichment choke is to start out with full choke.

Air temps shouldn't matter, you need to full choke.

It is normal to do any of the following after it starts or fires.

You might need go to half choke immediately after it starts.

Go to half choke after it fires.

Take the choke off completely after it starts.

Repeating choke on and off to either full or half till the engine warms.

That can all change depending on outside air temps.

Warming a cold engine in half choke is common.

Needing any choke after the engine is warm is a sign of a dirty carb.

If a warm engine quits when you choke it that is a good thing.

If you have the pump/primer then you give it one or more pumps to start. You most likely will have to give it one additional pump at a time till it warms up a little.

Just like the choke, listening to the engine will tell you if it needs more fuel while it warms up.