• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old Lab-Bladder problems

Huskie

The past two weeks I've noticed that my 14 year old lab can't contol her bladder at night, wakes up in the kennel with a wet dogbed. (I know, her owner has similar issues.) She is in amazing shape for her age and I hunt her for an hr.-1 1/2 at a time still. Would a vet have some type of med's that could clear this up or are we nearer the end than I thought. So far it's just pee, but!!!!!!

With the current age of the dog she may appear in fine condition from the outside but its what going on in the inside you cant see. There are many possible reasons and im sure you can guess without me mentioning them. I would bring your dog to the vet and see what the reason might be. If there is something terminally ill with your dog maybe they might be able to giv some type of meds to help prolong its life by making it a little more comfortable. I would say a lab at 14yrs old youve been pretty lucky up til this point. Ive had several labs and I think the most I have gotten is around 10 without a some form of cancer.

I just put my 15 1/2 y.o. girl down. SHe did not have a bladder problem, but instead was having problems with her B.M.s... she could go about 5-6 hours, but that was about it... remember time is reversing and the older the get, the more 'puppy' like they become.

If I remember correctly, there is a med to help with incontinence. Put a call into your vet and inquire about it. He may require an office visit and check-up prior to prescribing any med...

Good Luck!

Ken

Hey Huskie....I know the issue you are up against. Put my girl down after 14 AMAZING years. She also had an incontence issue. Low esterogen. This happens when a female is spayed, or as they get older, the muscles get week, and a lack of estrogen leads to "leaking" they have pills (that are inexpensive) at the vet to cure this.

Hope this helps.

It may take a little while to get the proper dose dialed in, but they should start to work immediately. Give her a full pill or two, two get it into her system, then try dialing it back by snapping them in half, they tend to break easy and see if that does the trick, if not, or after a long hard day in the field a full pill (or two) may be needed to keep the bed dry smile