• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird Identification Please

Jim Jensen

I took this picture back in June while shore fishing in Maple Grove. I looked it up in my National Geograpic bird book and I think it is a Western Grebe. It never came close enough for me to get a good picture and it was overcast that day. You can't see it in this picture but it does have red eyes. I meant to go back to try to get a better picture but never got back. According to my bird but we don't have these in this part of Minnesota. Anyone else ever see these birds where they don't belong?

P1030794a.jpg

looks like one to me. seen then frequently on osakis the last 5 years or so, ironically did not see them this year. civilized foul, routinely have witness them swim up to a slip bobber, submerge, and pick clean the bait. always liked seeing them, knew there were baitfish nearby.

It looks very muh like the Western Grebe I saw by Waubay, SD in the spring. The main difference is, I was shooting on a clear day. It was also my first sighting of one. Next spring, I'm going to make an attempt to get there earlier in the year, so I can try and catch them doing their mating dance. I understand they are fairly common in that area.

4113814148_84d2d95a6e_o.jpg

Now that is the type of picture I wanted to get. I should have went back on a day with more sun. Oh well maybe he/she liked my neck of the woods and will return next spring.

Thanks for the identification info. For me there is nothing better than seeing a bird I have never seen before and having my camera hanging around my neck. I have learned a not so good picture is better than no picture.

I have learned a not so good picture is better that no picture.

That is so true when trying to make a ID on a bird that you are seeing for the first time and it gets even worse when you are trying to pick out one in a flock that has a minor difference then the rest of the flock.