• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard in the garage for 15 or so years...

bobbymalone

Don't loose hope yet.

I would squirt some oil in the cylinders and see if I could turn the flywheel manually. Don't force it and make sure it's in neutral. Then if the motor is not locked-up, I would do a compression test and spark test. You can do this yourself for

minimal expense. Borrow a compression tester from Oreilly's or Autozone for free. The spark tester is only $7-8. This will give you a better indication of the condition of the engine.

What year is the motor?

Again, if it's not frozen that motor will probably run. I heard many of stories like yours and that old johnny/rude fired right up.

Change the wp/impeller.

Also, check the lower unit for cracks/leaks and change the

gear oil, 80-90W outboard gear oil.

just use good old oil to put in the spark plug holes. let it sit in there and every day give it a pull, it will scrub off. We had an old John Deere D that was tight, did the same thing finally it broke loose and got it to fire off. It blew crud out for ten minutes and ran like a champ after that. Baby steps is the key, while the engine is soaking in oil, is the time to pull the carbs get them up and cleaned out and then do the bottom end. I agree with replacing the water pump and filters. Good luck should be just fine.

Thanks for the encouraging posts! I don't have my hopes set too high though.

The motor is connected to a 17-18 foot alumacraft which my dad is gifting to me. It's the boat I went out with my dad on as a young 'un. The boat will be in great shape after a thorough cleaning and de-mousing.

Unfortunately, the whole set up is out of state so I won't be able to mess with it until spring/early summer.

I wasn't sure if I was gonna take it, but I'm hopeful I can get that motor running again. Worst case scenario, I'll have a great (and really cheap) boat for trolling motoring around metro lakes which is a step up from what I have now smile

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

putting all the new parts in to any Johhnyrude is going to be cheap. including new hose and bulb (highly recomended due to the alcohol in new gas) I doubt you would have anything over $100 and a weekend or two in to it. and its going tp pull yo uaround the lake like any new $$$ outboard.

free tinny and a $100 outboard sounds like a great deal to me!