• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Desktop Computer is Humming

Scott M

Often there is dust buildup on the fan itself. Have you opened it up lately and used some compressed air to blow the dust off the fans and clean it out.

I clean mine out 2 times a year and you would not believe how much

dust can build up that short a time. I take mine out on the deck

and open it and blast it out. Sure helps it out from heat buildup

then to. Especially around the CPU heat sink and video card.

Very well could be a fan. I had a video card that had an on-board fan and it became noisy which is usually an indication that it's going to eventually fail. I searched around for a replacement fan but found it was just easier to buy a new video card.

still making the noise, a hum not a a grind. I checked all of my audio connections and hardware settings and don't have any audio. I'll try a reboot. Got evening plans but still have to search for a few more odd things that need backup.

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Open your case and stick your head in there to find out where it's coming from. Usually it's just a fan aging, or primary and secondary effects of dust build up (primary being physical interference with the motion and secondary making cooling more inefficient so "smart" fans speed up to higher speeds where they become more audible).

Also on audio Vista has a reputation for losing audio at times. Reinstall drivers usually takes care of things, or just resetting the device.