• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AKC vs APR

Vman

I was talking to a person over the phone who has a litter of yellow labs for sale. The father is AKC and the mother is APR. The owner registered the litter with APR. If we buy one of her pups and decide down the road to breed her, will we have any troubles with the fact that she would be registered with APR and not AKC?

Thanks for the help.

-Chris

I think yes. The APR registry has zero validity in my opinion. They exist just to take people's money. You don't even have to prove the dog is a purebred to register with the APR. I could register an English Setter as a lab with the APR and they'd accept it and be happy to take my money. There is no inspection or proof of being a purebred dog necessary.

The owner registered with the APR because they couldn't register with the AKC. That should tell you something. Caveat Emptor if puppy registration really matters to you.

And the AKC doesn't exist to take peoples money? They are the most expensive one out there. AKC doesn't do it for free. All of the other stuff AKC does is basically all for marketing. That is how you get the name recognition to start with. All businesses are out there are to take peoples money. How do you prove that a dog is a pure bred? Show them some papers someone made up? You just have some guys word on it and that is as far as proving it goes in most cases.

I would not worry about it. I have 1 female that is registered with APR and her pups have sold with no problem. Almost all pups sold are going to be altered and not bred anyway.

Having the hips, elbows, and eyes checked is way more important to me.

It is just cheaper for the breeder to register with APR. Some guys are just tight with their money. AKC does not dual register because they are the 800 lb gorilla and don't have to. Everyone else will dual register.

Registering dogs is only as honest as the breeder themselves. It is just the breeders word that you are getting the dog they say you are. In some cases the breeder has to send a DNA sample in on the male dogs if they have a certain amount of litters. Then you could compare your dogs DNA if you questioned the parentage.

I would prefer to register with AKC and do, just because they are the 800 lb gorilla and have the name recognition.

AKC certainly takes people's money. So does FDSB. So do the various breed clubs if you are a member. The goal would be to get some value in return for spending your money.

There is no guarantee of quality just because a dog is registered. We all know that, or should know that. The AKC does dual register with the FDSB. DNA is used to prove a dog is from the dogs stated on the pedigree. It is about breeder integrity and up until recent years that's all you had to go on. It wasn't too many years ago the NFC English Pointer Miller's Online was determined not to have a correct pedigree due to DNA. The FDSB punished the breeder (a living legend) and he no longer can register dogs or actively participate in trials. It hit him where it hurt. What happens if the APR finds out a breeder is a scoundrel? Will their punishment carry any weight?

What value do you get from the APR: Other than a piece of paper I'm not seeing any value. AKC sanctions field trials, hunt tests, dog shows, etc. AKC handles the registry and is the umbrella organization for the various breed clubs. AKC handles the DNA process. If a breeder needs discipline or punishment the AKC has the weight to make it effective. The AKC governs. The may do it in a way we don't like all the time but they govern. What does APR do that provides real value?

I personaly would not buy a dog from a breeder that uses APR.And make sure they check the Hips and eyes at least. And if they advertise field bred or champion lines check that out, some claim this but have no good pedigree to back it up with. Good luck to you

Thanks for all the replies. We went to check out the pups. The Dad was a great looking dog, not so sure about the mom. The house was really dirty and stank of urine. We decided not buy any pups.

I think we will stick to AKCs only.

Thanks for all the replies. We went to check out the pups. The Dad was a great looking dog, not so sure about the mom. The house was really dirty and stank of urine. We decided not buy any pups.

I agree with gspman!

And good choice to walk away, you will find a breeder that will have what you are looking for. And as mentioned make sure the parents have their health clearances. OFA (hips & elbows), EIC, CNM, CERF, PRA. If they are a reputable breeder they will have this for their dogs. Also, I would only buy a lab that is AKC or UKC registered.

Originally Posted By: Vman

I agree with gspman!

And good choice to walk away, you will find a breeder that will have what you are looking for. And as mentioned make sure the parents have their health clearances. OFA (hips & elbows), EIC, CNM, CERF, PRA. If they are a reputable breeder they will have this for their dogs. Also, I would only buy a lab that is AKC or UKC registered.

Dido, I agree 100% some guy's addvertise braging about how many litters they sell bla bla. and don't realy have any thing decent to offer. They still charge almost as much $ and in my opinion if they worry about how many they can sell they are not doing it for the right reason and most likely are not improving the breed at all. Pupy millers. Take your time and do just what you did, use your gut instinct. Good move.