• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Email fax

Scott K

Is there an easy efficient way to use email to send a fax from your computer? My new laptop doesn't have a phone modem, and I normally use Winfax to send all of my emails. I know there are adapters that I can get, but I haven't found any that will work with Windows 7 yet.

OK...I am a little confused. Why can't you just email instead of using fax to email? I just email my emails, not trying to be a smart azz, well not too much anyway. If you really want to Fax over the internet you will probably need to engage a FoIP(Fax over IP) service. A quick web search did pull up a few.

I would love to only send emails, but about a quarter of my customers don't have computers or an email, only a fax machine.

What I am trying to do is convert everything to a laptop, for mobility. I have a separate fax machine, but most of the stuff I need to fax is on my computer, so I use Winfax, no need to print out to paper to fax it. My new laptop doesnt have a phone modem for me to plug a phone line into, to send a fax from the laptop via Winfax.

I see 3 different variables here, get a different laptop with a phone modem, get an adapter to go from usb or ethernet to a phone modem, or find an easy efficient way to send the info directly from the laptop to the other persons fax machine.

The first option of returning my laptop and getting a different one, is an option, I have 2 weeks to try this one out. The adapter option, I cant find anything that will work with Windows 7, although I am sure someone will make a driver that will work soon enough. I would like to find a way to send the info from my laptop to the other persons fax machine, that is quick, and doesnt cost a lot per use, or a high monthly charge. Then I wouldn't need to be tied down with a phone line on my laptop.

I was just curious if anyone has used a good service that works. I haven't used any, but I work with someone that has tried them, he said the biggest complaint was the fax would take hours to be delivered.

Been seeing the ads for that.

I'm not 100% sure if this will be an issue, but with that Magic Jack, you're using your bandwidth for your internet. How much of your allowable bandwidth this will use up, I don't know. But be careful.

Now that Jr has moved back home, he managed to cork up our internet with his online gaming, downloads and what ever else he's been doing. And I thought 12GB per month was plenty. smirk