• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squaw Lake/Northhome, MN

Should get your limit of wolves there

That right there is not funny. I hunt in that area, and hear the howling from time to time. I wish they would put a hunting season on them. We still see deer, but would be nice to cut down the population a little.

I tracked a doe a couple of years ago at night after returning from camp for supper. Thought I would leave the doe go and expire while I ate(1/2 hr.to 1 hr.), and return to track. I should have tracked right away. After tracking for a while(didn't hit her as good as I thought), the blood trail suddenly had wolf tracks following it. Well, let's just say that I didn't recover that deer, and the wolves had a great supper that evening. mad They gotta eat too, I guess.

Opening weekend my aunt got a doe but hasn't seen any shooter bucks yet. She hunts a few miles northwest of Squaw Lake. Around the end of september she had a mountain lion come in a stare at her while she was in the tree. She's a credible source and a few others have seen a mountain lion in the area as well.

We still get deer, even with the wolves in the area. When the above post of mine happened with the wolves, I saw 26 deer in the same stand in the coarse of three days. I don't think the wolves have much affect on the deer. That is my honest opinion, and take it as you want.

Was up last weekend and saw some rut activity. The camera showed does and fawns, and seemed to be the same ones everyday. No bucks on the camera, but they will be there. Yes the wolves are a problem, and I did get a tail of one on the camera off my stand. Buck Fever has set in, so it will be a long week.

Good luck and be safe!