• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carbon Arrows ?

tracker x-2

Unless you're a target shooter, I wouldn't worry much about arrow straightness. Any .006 will be plenty good for hunting situations. I've shot a bunch and haven't seen any noticeable difference shooting at 3d targets.

A 2" vane will be lighter than a 4" giving you a little more speed and flatter trajectories. Blazers are also a little stiffer than most conventional vanes providing sufficient steering capabilities. A lot of guys really seem to like them.

I ran into some tuning issues with larger profile fixed blade broadheads so I switched from blazers back to 4" feathers. I shoot 30" 70# and 4" fletching just seem to work the best for my setup.

Give them a shot and see if they work for you.

Unless you're a target shooter, I wouldn't worry much about arrow straightness. Any .006 will be plenty good for hunting situations. I've shot a bunch and haven't seen any noticeable difference shooting at 3d targets.

A 2" vane will be lighter than a 4" giving you a little more speed and flatter trajectories. Blazers are also a little stiffer than most conventional vanes providing sufficient steering capabilities. A lot of guys really seem to like them.

I ran into some tuning issues with larger profile fixed blade broadheads so I switched from blazers back to 4" feathers. I shoot 30" 70# and 4" fletching just seem to work the best for my setup.

Give them a shot and see if they work for you.

That's exactly what I shoot too.

I tried 2" blazers for the first time this year. They seem much faster than the 4" feathers I was shooting and I didn't notice any accuracy issues. I did have one issue when shooting larger fixed broadheads, the shorter vains weren't able to stabilize the large broadhead so I tried out some G5 Montecs and they flew perfect with the short vains. I would recommend them if they work with the broadheads you want to use, they are faster and they hold up much better though a whisker biscuit than most other types of fletching.

Another thing to consider is the rest you are using. The blazer are more durable and stand up better when using a whisker biscuit rest, because they are stiffer. They are also taller and can cause clearance issues with some bow/rest setups. I shoot blazers with a limb driver rest and have been happy with them.

Hey sticks do you think it was the broadhead stearing those arrows the griztrick is the cut on contact version how do you like them? I shoot the blazers with the 1 1/8" slick trick and have never had a problem with them.

The blazers were designed for the wisker biscut and then everyone relized how well they worked with fixed heads and they became the new rage in fleatching

Just to throw in what I've experienced if it helps?

I used to shoot feathered, aluminum XX78's with 100gr 3 blade Muzzy's. They shot just fine but I made the switch to A/C/C's with the idea I'd pick up durability mostly.

The Muzzy's wouldn't fly reliably on the A/C/C's even with 4 inch vanes - as others have found out too.

I went to 100 Spitfires and that has worked fine.

This year my new carbon composites have the blazer type vanes. I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy and in fact, I can shoot the 2 inchers and 4 inchers interchangeably. What I do like about the short vanes is they haven't gotten "wavy" on me after a lot of practice. Some of my 4 inchers have started looking like the side of an uncooked lasagna noodle after awhile.

I still can't shoot Muzzy's on them but I have found that can shoot 3 blade 100gr Thunderheads on them just fine. I was glad to find a fixed blade head I could shoot on my carbons.

I shoot a Matthews LX at 60 lbs with a 27 1/2 in draw length. BTW, I can still hold a tight group with the aluminum arrow and Muzzy's but they hit about 4 inches higher at 30 yards than my carbon composites do.

I was having troubles getting 100g Magnus Buzzcuts to group with the 2" blazers and after some investigation I think it was because the short vains can't stabilize that shape of broadhead very well. The G5 Montecs group tight with my field points with the 2" blazers. I highly recommend the Blazers if you are using a whisker biscuit, they have held up better than any other type of fletching I have used with the biscuit like.

Quote:
Hey sticks do you think it was the broadhead stearing those arrows the griztrick is the cut on contact version how do you like them?

The GrizzTrick isn't cut-on-contact, you're thinking of the RazorTrick. I prefer a bone-busting tip.

There is no such thing as a "bone-busting tip". Any broadhead should be cabable of passing through the rib cage of a whitetail with enough KE. More developed bones/harder bones, such as shoulders and arm joints, are hard enough that no "bone-busting tip" (for example, the Muzzy trocar tips) will achieve much penetration on a direct hit, and neither will any other broadhead. In fact, it has been proven instead that 2 blade cut on contact broadheads have greater penetrating ability than any other type of broadhead. See the Ashby studies.

That said, I don't use 2 blade cut on contacts, and I have used mechanicals, Muzzy's, etc. Instead, I believe any sharp head will do the trick when you are making good shots. The biggest issue is that with a bow you should never, ever, intentionally shoot to "break bones" because there is no broadhead that it built to be able to penetrate and break bones.

Cripes, who said anything about purposely aiming to break bones? Sorry, I should've said I prefer a "trocar" style head that won't bend over at impact and deflect the arrow. Is that better? I was just answering a qustion asked by someone else. Start a thread on it if you want to debate which is better. You site the Ashby penetration studies, yet shoot Muzzy's?

Cripes, who said anything about purposely aiming to break bones? Sorry, I should've said I prefer a "trocar" style head that won't bend over at impact and deflect the arrow. Is that better? I was just answering a qustion asked by someone else. Start a thread on it if you want to debate which is better.

Easy, calm down. You said, "I like to use a bone-busting type head." I was just pointing out that there isn't such a thing.

Look, I was not blasting you, nor was I directing my comment at you personally. Here is the deal, I don't know a thing about you, or your knowledge base, or the way you hunt and the shots you take. I am not trying to start an argument. I am just trying to provide clarity on the statment that was made about "bone-busting" broadheads, because you didn't clarify what you meant. The internet is full of misinformation and many of the people reading it are new to bowhunting. It is an injustice to the animals we hunt and to the people who are soaking up what they read in forums like this to not point out how that statement was misleading.

So in that sense, glad I could help.

Well its good the information is clear now.

FWIW, on internet forums when you qoute someone the quotee (and others) often take that as directed at that person.

Simply another tip. wink

Yes, I understand that. However, using simple reading comprehension should make it clear whether or not there are any personal attacks being made when quoting someone. Quoting a statement is simply an easy way of identifying a comment that you would like to specifically respond to or make a point about. That's the whole point of these forums, to make it possible to share advice, stories, theories, etc.