• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lottery question

slayer21

Someone was trying to tell me if you are in a lottery zone and bowhunting you still had to apply for doe permit to shoot a doe with bow..i cant find my handbook right now. i dont have to worry cause im in bonus area. but just wondering about if i go back home where it is lottery? they just bowhunt

Im positive whoever told you that is wrong. I bowhunt mostly in a lottery area, and I made sure of the regs before hand. The below is straight from the DNR regs booklet. Good Luck!

LOTTERY DEER AREAS

All archery hunters can take a deer of either-sex in the lottery deer

areas listed on page 71. Bonus permits are not valid in lottery deer areas.

The bag limit is one deer total.

2009 Hunting Regs Handbook

p.63

"A regular archery license is valid for an either-sex deer statewide in any open area, except 234, 237, 274, 275, 282, 283, 284, 286, 288, 289, and 294, which are buck only."

p.64

"Any hunter can buy a muzzleloader license, including people who have purchased a firearm license. The license is valid for either-sex deer in any managed or intensive area. In lottery areas, you must have an either-sex permit for muzzleloader season to take an antlerless deer. All muzzleloader hunters are restricted to bucks only hunting in deer areas 234, 237, 274, 275, 282, 283, 284, 286, 288, 289, and 294."

I assume it was an over harvest of deer last year or two that resulted in the restrictions being extended even to archers and muzzleloaders.

When doe permits were required in previous years, archers and muzzy hunters still could shoot anything. Even after the severe winters of the mid 1990's they could shoot antlerless while reg firearms competed for very few permits (sometimes as few as 25). Even in permit areas with no antlerless permits available archery and muzzy could still take antlerless (ex. in 1995 permit areas 115, 116, 117, 118, 127, 130, 194, and 214 had ZERO permits available and archery/muzzy were still allowed to harvest either sex). The exception was in 1996. There were a very large number of permit areas hurt by the second of two very severe back to back winters. Many of these areas had zero antlerless permits available. Everyone was bucks only (firearms,muzzy and archery) in permits areas with no antlerless available. This involved 90% plus of what is then called zone 1 and now called zone 100. Even in that bad a year archery and muzzy could still automatically shoot either-sex if a permit area had ANY antlerless permits available. The deer herd rebounded even with archery and muzzy taking antlerless.

Did archers and muzzleloaders actually contribute significantly to the recent over harvest and resulting lower deer population?

Did archery have less impact, smaller percent of the harvest than muzzy? Is that why archery has less restrictions on antlerless harvest compared to muzzy?

Is the situation worse than in the mid 1990"s?

Lou can you provide any insight?

lakevet

Regs foldout map says that youth have to apply for permits to shoot antlerless with ANY weapon in the following areas:

Area -------- Number of permits (youth only antlerless)

234 -------- 50

237 -------- 50

274 -------- 25

275 -------- 25

282 -------- 25

283 -------- 25

284 -------- 25

286 -------- 50

288 -------- 50

289 -------- 25

294 -------- 50

If your kid didn't apply by Sept 15th and got a permit in the youth only lottery, then its bucks only for them no matter what weapon they use. All adults are bucks only, no chance at an antlerless. These areas are called "Youth only antlerless deer areas". In "Lottery" areas kids automatically can shoot anything brown with any weapon. Age 10 to 11 get free license. Age 12-17 license cost $13.00. I believe that is total cost and ablility to tag an antlerless is automatically included. My understanding is abuse of kids either sex option by adults resulted in the "youth only antlerless deer areas" being created to reduce harvest. Please let the kids do the shooting and you shoot the pictures of kid + deer. As the saying goes "don't break your toy".

lakevet