• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carb Work?

tipup

Anyone know of anybody in the Mankato, Waseca, Owatonna area that does good carb work? I picked up a 96 Indy 500 that has been sitting for 3 years. It runs but stalls out after about 3 minutes of running and when I give it gas it cuts in and out. I have been out of snowmobiles for awhile and would like to find someone independent instead of paying the big dealer prices. i believe its the carbs but if anyone has any ideas for me I will take them. I am currently running a can of seafoam through it hopeing that will work. Thanks in advance!!

Carbs may be a good starting point but by the sounds of the symptoms you described I would guess rotten/cracked fuel lines. If the engine runs good for that minute or two before it dies, then I think the carbs are working fine(although it never hurts to clean them up, expecially after sitting for a few years). Cracked fuel lines will usually let the motor run fine for a short while but the suction pulls air into the system and once that air gets to the compression chamber (piston) she will die out on you. I am no mechanic but it is another option to look at.

most likely carb. the float will stick and either flood or not get enough gas when you open it up. they are really not that hard to clean. skilled guy can do it in an easy 5 min.. take apart, spray with carb cleaner blow it off with compressed air, repeat, put back together then have fun!

i would bet it is the carbs,i take mine off and clean them every year and i have 3 carbs on mine.the gas this these days starts to break down in as little as a month.i would drain the old gas out of the tank,blow out the fuel lines and clean the carbs.if it hasn't been run for 3 years you may have to take them all apart and soak them in carb cleaner overnight then blow all the passages out and clean the jets with a piece of fine wire to make sure the holes are not plugged.

Hey, tipup,

Every year after deer hunting, a bunch of us usually get together on the weekends to have some beers and go through the carbs on our sleds right here in Waseca. If you wanna bring it over some weekend we can take a look at it and see if we can get it dialed in.

Hey that would be cool, can you let me know when, i would like to learn but I work evenings(4pm-12am) on weekends. But still would like to know when you do it, maybe I can get the day/night off!!!