• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear shock

ripstick

go out to the garage press down on the rear of the sled if its hard to press down your shock is prolly ok. it should also raise to were it was before you pressed it down. you may even wanna replace your springs if your shock is bad. bad shock hurts the springs too. you can recharge your shock if its a fox.

good luck

OK its on an indy trail. Iam about 260 lbs. The springs are up all the way. If you lift the back end up and let go it goes right down to 1/2 the travel. Thats compared to if you stand on it. I was told to turn them up due to weight. I have the time so they can be replaced.

Mr. Wizard,

First I would grease the suspension and make sure its not locked up from rust. Once you have full travel figure out if your shock is good. Stand on the rear bumper and jump off. If the sled pops up fast then the shock is shot. If it rises slow the shock is fine/OK. As far as springs it helps to have an idea at what level the sled should be sitting. First indication is the tail drags. If you lift up on the bumper and left go some drop is normal, at some point it is not normal. Increase the preload on the springs and sit on the seat. Of coarse if it bottoms out your springs are shot. Next indication that springs are weak is bottoming out a lot when riding. Just remember a 91 Indy Sport has little travel and it is going to ride rough and bottom out.

Do the above tests sort of the test ride and let us know what you find out. Replacing the springs is pretty straight forward.

Get the rear of the sled up high. Because the extreme angle gas will run through the inlet valve on the carbs so is would be rise to turn the fuel off.

Set the spring preloads to minimum. That would be where the coil goes around an axle shaft. You'll see a block with steps and a nut, the short foot of the spring sets on that adjustment block. Next release the long foot of both spring and let swing back. There is a tool to do that but you should be able do it by hand if the springs are weak. On each side of the tunnel you'll see a bolt that holds that axle and suspension. This is going to sound odd but there is a reason for it. Back one bolt out but don't remove completely. Tighten that bolt back up and go to the other side remove that bolt completely. Go back to the other side and remove the bolt completely. Reason for that sequence is the axle will spin if you don't break both bolts free.

The rear of the suspension should have dropped. There is a collar that is keeping the idler wheels from sliding off. Use an allen wrench to loosen the set screw in one collar. Slide off the collar, idler wheel, and spring from one side. Reassemble that side with new spring. Do the other side.

Lift the suspension into place and reattach with bolts. You should put never seize on the bolt first. Get the alignment right so you don't cross thread the bolt.

Thanks a lot ST! I have a couple projects to finish (hopefuly one of them is butchering deer next week)then I'll bring the sled into the garage and follow your directions step by step. I'll probably bring this post back TTT with questions after I get started.

Your welcome. While you have the sled in a heated garage you might as well get it greased. Don't forget the drive and jack shafts. Take a look at the slides while you have the sled up in the air.

Ripstick, put the cover on that sled and leave on till we get some snow. There is nothing left to tinker with!

Of coarse I could come over with mime and we can continue the garage logic.