• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Howdy all...New to the forum and I need some boat advice (Alumacraft).

CRFan1

Just one thing to add, well it's already been stated earlier but... I've never ever talked to a boat owner that was disappointed that he bought too big of a motor for his boat. I've talked to several, and I mean several, boat owners that wished they had bought bigger. I don't necessarily think you should max out the boat for what it will take, but I think you should go 75 to 80 percent of the boat's max. Just my opinion, and I wanted to put it out there because, if it weren't for my bro-in-law, I would have really regretted my motor choice on my first boat. I'd rather have a used boat with a maxed out motor, than a new one with only 60 percent of the motor max on it.

That is a good point for sure and one I have debated over in my sleep. The problem is, doing that brings the price point of the boat to a level that puts it in a different territory. I would like to put a 60 on it (that would be 80%, the 50 is 66% based on 75 hp max). I have some thinking to do.

Thanks....I have not bought it yet because I want to take this deal to the Dealer and see what they can do.

So the Co-Pilot and not the auto pilot? I was thinking of trying to get the auto pilot thrown in?

Do both, together they work great. On our main boat we have both, and on second boat we have neither, and I hate driving that boat with the troller smile

Also, and then I will shut up as I have half the posts in this thread wink I would highly recommend as others have said, max out the motor, even if it means waiting a bit. You will always find deals, and it is now fall. You will regret having too little motor, the only difference is that you will not want to admit it to yourself. Been there in the past wink

Good luck, whatever you get will work fine, it just depends on the size of the grin when you hit the throttle smile

Originally Posted By: CRFan1
Thanks....I have not bought it yet because I want to take this deal to the Dealer and see what they can do.

So the Co-Pilot and not the auto pilot? I was thinking of trying to get the auto pilot thrown in?

Do both, together they work great. On our main boat we have both, and on second boat we have neither, and I hate driving that boat with the troller smile

Also, and then I will shut up as I have half the posts in this thread wink I would highly recommend as others have said, max out the motor, even if it means waiting a bit. You will always find deals, and it is now fall. You will regret having too little motor, the only difference is that you will not want to admit it to yourself. Been there in the past wink

Good luck, whatever you get will work fine, it just depends on the size of the grin when you hit the throttle smile

Ok thanks I will try and opt for both.

Yeah I have sat here thinking about it and I pretty much know now that I have to opt for at least a 60 EFI 4. I will have to bite the bullet. I am all for setting it up right the first time and not regretting it later........Let's see what the dealer can work up this Saturday. they are not selling a thing right now so I am in the driver seat smile

I have a feeling Cabelas will be around for quite a while, and in these tough economic times, the same cannot be said about those who deal only in boat sales. So I wouldn't feel all to worried about buying a boat from Cabelas.

Yamaha makes a nice 70 HP 2 stroke. Works perfect on the Classic. A 60hp 4 stroke will be heavy. Do you need to stick with the Merc??

Nope, if I go through the dealer I was thinking about a 60 or 75 ETEC. it is going to depend on the deal. I would actually rather stay 2 stroke. Just not a big four stroke fan to be honest. My dirt bike is still a two stroke too, hehe smile

The 90 Suzuki that I put on my Navigator is great. I'm extremely happy that I purchased it. Although, every time a 2-stroke boat passes by I get a whiff of that sweet exhaust smell and get buyer's remorse!

I agree with Wish-I-Were-Fishn. A 60hp 4-stroke might be a little heavy for your rig but a 2-stroke will be better in this situation.

As a side note, I found that even though the economy sucked boat dealers weren't offering great deals on new boats. They've held their ground pretty well so you won't lose much by waiting.

The 90 Suzuki that I put on my Navigator is great. I'm extremely happy that I purchased it. Although, every time a 2-stroke boat passes by I get a whiff of that sweet exhaust smell and get buyer's remorse!

I agree with Wish-I-Were-Fishn. A 60hp 4-stroke might be a little heavy for your rig but a 2-stroke will be better in this situation.

As a side note, I found that even though the economy sucked boat dealers weren't offering great deals on new boats. They've held their ground pretty well so you won't lose much by waiting.

Ahhhh...the sweet smell of two stroke in the morning smile

On the timing, I am trying to snag a left over 09 and not many left around here. I will have a better idea of what's up on Saturday smile

If the economy continues to improve, you will see the cost of aluminum go up again. Big factor in boat prices.

The Etec would be a great option IMO.

Yep,

Going either ETEC 60 or 75 or Optimax 75. Gonna come down to which one will offer the better deal. I am thinking the Opti will be cheaper though. Looks like either one are good motors though smile

Well...deal is done and I think I did ok:

- 2010 ALumacraft Classic CS (Black)

- Heritage custom trailer with spare (Black)

- Upgraded to a Mercury 60 HP 4 stroke EFI (the ETEC's were just too much)

- Upgraded trolling motor to Minn Kota 70 pound 24v with autopilot and built in transducer.

- Stock depth finder mounted in bow

- Hummingbird 788 CI mounted on console

- 3 bank charger

- additional battery

- Dowco cover

- Coast guard kit (4 life jackets, anchor and rope, flare

kit, 2 mooring lines and 2 dock bumpers)

All for $18,900 out the door taxes and all. ALot of money but it will be set up just how I want it smile Should be in and rigged in 3-4 weeks, just in time to drool over the winter.

Nice rig, I like the powerful trolling motor, definetely an option where bigger is better.

Thanks! The motor is right at 80% so I hope it does the job. The hard part is going to be looking at it in the garage all winter, lol frown

Congrats CR!!! Enjoy the rig, and let us know when you are out on Whitefish, maybe meet up and see the rig!

Going to be a looooooong winter for you wink

Haha!! It's all your fault smile Yes..it's going to be a VERY long winter. frown

Hey man we are there the first weekend after labor day every year (of course I will be on this site and we can keep in touch anyway). I was thinking maybe you come out and spend some time fishing in the boat. There are probably places you go I have never been and would like to learn a bit more about that lake.

Oh and BoxMN....I am not the greatest Walley fisherman in the world but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while! I caught this in June 2008 (It was 31" and about 10 pounds - let him go too :)):

P1010930.jpg

I also caught a 7.5 pounder 2 years before that....

I don't know CR, with a fish like that it puts you above the blind squirrel category! ha! And look at that guy in the Alumacraft in the background, oggling you more than construction workers at noontime! wink Nice fish!

I went to Pine River this spring to see them trapping and stripping eggs of the walleyes, and saw my first ever 32+ inch fish. holy cow, they are amazing. I hope to see a 31" like yours in my boat some day!!!!!

That chain sure has them, I wish I could find more....

I don't know CR, with a fish like that it puts you above the blind squirrel category! ha! And look at that guy in the Alumacraft in the background, oggling you more than construction workers at noontime! wink Nice fish!

I went to Pine River this spring to see them trapping and stripping eggs of the walleyes, and saw my first ever 32+ inch fish. holy cow, they are amazing. I hope to see a 31" like yours in my boat some day!!!!!

That chain sure has them, I wish I could find more....

Thanks! That was a once in a lifetimer I am sure. It was caught on a bar in front of our resort too, lol. You'll get one smile

Oh and the guy in that boat was beside himself and could not believe it, hahaha. He did say congrats though smile