• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy Lake fishing

coollaugh I actually went fishing!! laughcool

I got back yesterday from Rainy Lake and it was one wet and windy weekend up there. Couple new things for me this weekend that were really neat-I've never been up to the Falls or Rainy and the drive was pretty spectacular! The leaves are just starting to change now and in about a week (if they don't get blown off before then) they'll be just awesome. Another 1st for me was that Rainy gave up some blue walleyes for us! I've never seen a blue walleye before and are they pretty. cool

We fished Friday and Saturday and caught walleyes and sauger (Jim got one baby northern). Woody, of Woody's Rainy Lake Resort, gave us a load of great tips and the weekend ended up great! We basically used jigs with minnows all weekend and had action most of the time. Woody is a hoot, let me tell you! He was a fun guy to chat with. His cabins are affordable and clean. He's located right there on the River with all these little shops, almost like he's the mayor of his little city. I'd love to get up there this winter and get some crappie fishing in. I could also see myself lounging on one of their little decks that overlook the river with a cold one in the summer. grin

Another thing I thought that was really nice was that we launched at Voyageur National Park/Rainy Lake Visitors Center. I tell you, this was the nicest boat launch I've ever seen. Three lanes to launch from with slips to park your boat!

Between school and work, this was a fun weekend with a great group of guys! This is such a beautiful part of MN. I can't wait to get back up there.

Here's some pics (notice the blue on the walleye tails):

DCP_0181.jpg

DCP_0176copy.jpg

DCP_0177copy.jpg

Fish fry was on Saturday night up in Rainy, didn't you get my message?! winkgrin

I try to check in but wow, I've never been so busy in all my life. I guess that's a good thing since I'm staying out of trouble and keeping my nose to the grindstone. But it sure isn't very fun. And of course, it sure saves the fish population up north for you and Gary!

Lisa, it is so good to see you finally got out fishing! We went out on a launch on Mille Lacs on Sunday and got skunked. I got so cold I finally quit. At least I got my Jim out fishing, and I hope to be able to get him out on the ice this winter. We had fun this weekend anyway, we got to see Char's son perform with his school band and take 1st place in their division in the competition. Had pizza and wedding punch and played some farkle. Hope was with us and we even browbeat Jim into playing a game!!

Fish fry was on Saturday night up in Rainy, didn't you get my message?! winkgrin

I try to check in but wow, I've never been so busy in all my life. I guess that's a good thing since I'm staying out of trouble and keeping my nose to the grindstone. But it sure isn't very fun. And of course, it sure saves the fish population up north for you and Gary!

no, my phone musta not had reception. crycrylaughlaugh but we are going to be working on that starting wed morning. laughlaugh that being the fish ducks and grouse population.

It was super chilly this weekend. On Saturday, my gear just getting heavier and heavier since it rained the whole day but the only thing that got cold were my hands. sounds like you all had a fun time too!

Glenn, hope you have nicer weather this weekend! grin

Congrats Lady Lisa for getting out and about and away for a while. I know you said you had to work the same weekend Glenn and I were up, but when we were at the landing on Sunday there was a couple getting ready to go out. Thought it might have been You and Sir Jim, but it was not.

Glenn you stirring trouble.

Yup, people take me for Jim all the time. It's kinda crazy especially when I don't shave! smirkgrin

We just closed on the cabin today. Sad and good all at the same time. The new owner is very nice and should treat her good.

School is still super crazy! One of the other nursing students pointed out yesterday that we had 5 tests in a 32 hour span of time this past week. FUN! NOT! crazycryeek I start clinicals at St. Luke's this week so wish me luck and hope you don't have to be at that hospital for any reason in the next 6 weeks since you might get some crazy student nurse! grin

One very nice note is that I have the next 4 days of from school/work. We're switching rooms with my son and trying to still find room for all the extra cabin stuff. The boat's going into storage on Sunday. We REALLY need to have a rummage sale. Too bad it's too late in the year to get that done.

may need to head to carlton for huge sale!!!!!!!! laughlaughlaugh bummer about cabin. but at least the fish can breathe a sign of relief. continued good luck in your studies. dont plan on attending no hopitals anywhere any time soon. laughlaughwhistle not even to visit...i hope.

Our boat's in storage now too so we'll be waiting for ice. It'll be weird to start fishing lakes in this region more instead always heading up to Winnie (not that we'll stop going-we'll make it sometimes). If anyone's got tips for the lakes in the my area, send them my way!

Jim, Lisa and you should look into the annual Sturgeon Excurssion on the Rainy next April. Frank and I have gone two years in a row now and it is incredible. My thirteen year old son caught the largest fish last time, over forty pounds. We will have to get you and Lisa on one of the local lakes this winter for hardwater and discuss. Sorry Lake Superior never worked out for us this summer. Only got out twice and had the whole family on board. Keep in touch. BC

Mark I will email you soon about getting out but for right now I have to try and get the garage in order before the snow flies. It is amazing how much "stuff" one can accumulate over the years.All the stuff that was in 2 garages and a house and now its in 1 garage and I have to figure out were to put it till we have a sale next spring.