• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upgrading to DSLR

I have been lurking in this forum for a long time and I enjoy looking at the photos that are posted here. I have a Canon EOS Rebel T2 35mm SLR and film is getting hard to find and a pain to develop. I am looking to get a DSLR body and am wondering if the lenses and flash I already have will work with a Canon Rebel XSI 12.3mpix body.

I have:

Canon 28-90mm kit lens (came with the T2)

Quantaray 70-300mm lens

Canon Speedlite 430EX flash

I enjoy photography but have been a little shy of playing with the features of the camera because it would get very expensive with film. I would say I am an experienced novice with photography. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If I were you I would try to find a way to trade the Quantaray 70-300 for a Canon 75-300 if I were you. My uncle went from an Elan 7 to a Digital Rebel XT and when he used the Quantaray lens, he received an error 99 code. He tried cleaning the contacts and that didn't do anything to fix the issue.

The 28-90 and 430 EX will work fine as Steve said.

Maybe it was just his copy but it absolutely would not work with his XT. Interesting. I should note that it was an older copy. He has had it for probably 13+ years. Newer ones might be able to communicate better.

Best thing to do is try it on the camera, if it works, great. If it don't, switch it out for the Canon 75-300. I had the 75-300 for some time, and for what it is, it isn't a bad lens.

I know what I have isn't the best available, but it works for what I do with it for now. I can't afford the really nice stuff since it is just a hobby. You have to start somewhere.

What I will do is go someplace like National Camera and bring my lenses with and make sure it works. They shouldn't have a problem with trying out my lenses before we buy.

Do any of you have any thoughts or experience with the Canon Rebel XSI camera?

Tom, it was my guess that the Quantaray in question was an older copy. I know the one I mentioned is only a couple years old.

FF, a person uses what they have, and that's good enough. smilesmile

The XSi is an excellent camera that will allow you to take pictures with gorgeous image quality. Lots of fun ahead for you as you transition into digital. The camera's owner's manual will definitely become your good friend, but feel free to ask any questions you have in here. National Camera won't have any trouble letting you try out your lenses on their DSLR bodies, though don't be surprised if one of the sales staff tries to talk you into upgrading your lenses. That's what those folks get paid for. smilesmile

Do any of you have any thoughts or experience with the Canon Rebel XSI camera?

I have had an XSI for about 5/6 months and love it. I am rather new to the hobby and the XSI is more than enough to take great pics.

I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago and bought the XSi kit! It is a blast to play with. The Quantaray lens in autofocus seems to take forever to focus. So I have been using it with manual focus for now. Maybe this weekend I can put some pictures up. I don't have anything incredibly spectacular yet. But I would like your input.

Congrats! Im excited to see your photos. If you can swing it, I agree with the others here - trade that quantaray in for a canon 55-250, 75-300, 70-300, 70-200 f4, or the third party (sigma/tamron) equivalent. You'll be very happy you did...

Again, I cant wait to see those photos!

i did it two days ago, however decided on the sony alpha330l with the 18-55 and 75-300 package. i have been playing with it, trying to figure out how to work with the lighting etc. of all of the cameras it fit my hand the best. thanks for all the info from FM'ers.