• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bad habit

Champs

My lab is 5 1/2 and we just got into grouse hunting last year. He did fairly well flushing an retrieving. Prior to today he has never used an e collar. his very bad habit though is that he chases the birds he flushes or the ones that I miss. I borrowed an e collar to help work on his distance to me on the trail and it seemed like it worked well. But I tried to shock him when he chased one that I didn't get a shot at. he didn't respond so I think he may have been out of range but I don't know.I would really appreciate some advice on how to break this bad habit.

I would work on the dogs recall with the e-collar and try not to associate the shock with the birds. You hit the dog hard enough with the collar while he is chasing a bird and you are going to cause bigger problems. If he gets it in his head that the bird is the cause of the shock he may quit hunting birds all together. The dog doesn't have a solid recall command and that is what you need to work on with the collar before letting him loose in the field. Also sounds like he needs a solid heel command that he doesn't break from.

Your basically shocking him for chasing birds which he thinks is his job. My lab use to do that when he was young. He loved to chase birds when he flushed them and I missed. I finally took him to a trainer because I wanted more control. He went through the whole fetch procedure and worked with live birds. He did use the e collar. My dog is a pro now and understands what his job is and recognizes it when I miss. He gives a look like , how could you miss.

It would also help to use the tone setting on the collar. I would hit the tone control 1st and if they did not correct themselves then I would hit them with a high setting. It did not take but 5 or 6 times for them to figure it out. The last few years I don't even rember hitting them with the juice, the tone does the job just fine.

But you do NEED solid obedience before you even think of putting on the e-collar.

Prior to today he has never used an e collar.

I borrowed an e collar to help work on his distance to me on the trail and it seemed like it worked well. But I tried to shock him when he chased one that I didn't get a shot at.

First thing would be to collar condition the dog to the commands you are using the e-collar for. If he has not been collar conditioned to any commands you should not be using an e-collar on him. Sounds like your shocking him for chasing birds.....not something I would recommend.

You should begin by [e-collar] conditioning the dog to the come and sit command. Once the dog has been collar conditioned, introduce some distractions and if he does not obey your first command you can give the command a second time followed by a nick and the command again. Come-nick-come or sit-nick-sit.

If you have never collar conditioned a dog before I would recommend getting a book/video on collar conditioning and following the process completely before putting the e-collar back on the dog.....or talk to a pro.

I don't think I'm going to use the e collar much or at all. I have been training him in the yard this week and he is responding. I threw his dummy and he retrieved. Then I threw it again and sent him on the retrieve and called him back with the COME command. We did that a few times and he would mostly come off the retrieve and return to me. One thing I did later in the session that I should have done in the beginning was to attach a lead and then on the COME command i reeled him in. I think if we continue to work on that this week say 20 min. sessions then I will try him in the field again this weekend.

One thing I did later in the session that I should have done in the beginning was to attach a lead and then on the COME command i reeled him in. I think if we continue to work on that this week say 20 min. sessions then I will try him in the field again this weekend.

This is the correct step to take when training the command initially. The dog should be on a check cord at all times you plan on using a command so you can reinforce the command your giving. If he is not on the cord don't give the command as you don't have a way to correct him for not obeying the command....which them teaches/reinforces that he does not have to obey you.

Once he is solid and responding on the check cord, the dog is then conditioned to the e-collar (using a check cord). The e-collar will then basically replace the check cord allowing you to correct the dog if he does not obey a given command.

Don't give a command you cannot enforce...and don't use the e-collar unless you condition your dog to it!

mine used to do that too but i got him to return when i blow the whistle a couple of times. i wouldn't work with him for 20 minutes at a time.i did 10 mins. or so, as not to bore him. just do it a lot, its all about repetition. and remember to end on a good note, with a praise. everyone has really good points so take what you can use and good luck.

I have a derivation on this question...my dog also chases birds, so there will be more work upcoming with the check cord and the come command mid-retrieve, like Champs did, to simulate a missed bird. Currently the dog is prematurely fetching...on missed shots and even occasionally when she hears gunfire across the lake.

Trainingwise, what can I do to fix this behavior? She does well in staying during training, only fetching when I give the command. She is young and this is her first year hunting, so I'm not too concerned, but would like to fix this and not have to tie the dog down; I hunted with a guy that used to tie his dog down and I don't want to do that. Besides, having to hold your dog means you aren't paying attention to the hunt. FYI I don't have an e collar.