• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winnipeg "Wigglers" (for women only)

I thought I'd share this story with you about a "all" female angling fraternity here in Manitoba who call themselves the "Winnipeg Wigglers"!
I had the pleasure of meeting and hosting this group of fifty women earlier this month at my resort "cats On The Red".
Once a year for the last "fifty two" years the girls get together for a little friendly fishing competition. Not any different than a group of guys getting together for a day of camaraderie and a little friendly competition. Who was it that used the words in her lyric's of her song, "Girl's just wanna have fun"?
The ladies range in age from as young as seventeen all the way up to "eighty six" years young which is the actual age of one of the original and founding members of the "Wigglers"!
They all arrived together at the resort via a chartered bus out of Winnipeg. I got a kick out of watching this large group of women unloading their fishing tackle and "refreshments" from the bus. Most of the ladies brought along those little two wheeler shopping carts for toting all their tackle and other supplies. It was simply amazing to witness how many items these little carts were capable of carrying. If the truth be told the little carts were very praticle for that task. Keep in mind this competition is conducted strictly from shore, boats are not part of the equation!

I won't get into any the details on how the fishing went other then the girls caught plenty of fish to make for an exciting day!
Believe me near the days end there was plenty of bragging taking place. What with all the fish that were caught combined with a few "refreshments" that the girls indulged in, it made for a very entertaining day for all involved!

During the day I had the opportunity to meet and interview one of the founding members of the "Wigglers". She's a lady of eighty six years young who still has a passion for life and for angling. She's in great shape for her age and feels very fortunate to have been blessed with extrodinary good health and fitness. She has a great sense of humor as well. When asked what keeps her so motivated to get out for a little friendly competition her reply was, "someone's got to show the young one's how to catch fish"! (What a great attitude).
I asked her how this organization came to be. Her reply was, "fifty two years ago, a group of girls from Winnipeg who's husbands would never invite them on any fishing trips decided to take matters into their own hands. They started their own little "private club" which they immediately named the "Winnipeg Wigglers". Each and every year for the past fifty two years they get together for a few laughs, a few refreshments and a little friendly fishing competition! what could be finer and what a geat story.
I wonder how many other all girls groups simlilar to the "Wigglers" are out there?

Fish "Hard" Forever!

Stu McKay
www.catonthered.com

Thanks so much for sharing this story! It just goes to show that women can have a great time fishing - and besides they pack better than men. grin.gif

I know an 86 year young lady just like you are talking about and I just love her. She is so fun and has great stories to tell.

Thanks again!

------------------
Phyl

Ladies your more than welcome and I'm glad you found this little piece of information enlightening.
Hey wouldn't it be interesting if a similar group was formed on your side of the border and then hold a little friendly competition between to two fraternities! Call it the Can/Am Wigglers fishing tournament or something to that effect. Each year you could alternate venues on both sides of the border. I think that something like this could quickly develope into a very friendly and positive event. It would present an opportunity to meet other women who share the same passion for angling and for life.
Hey it's only food for thought, weather or not the idea ever becomes a reality or not is not really important. What is important in my opinion is the willingness of women to venture fourth and take on the sport of angling "head on" and simply being independant!

Fish "hard" Forever!

Stu McKay
www.catsonthered.com