• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This Must Be A Sign Of Old Age

This winter we have been talking a lot about trading our boat in for a pontoon. We have a pretty nice fishing boat it is 17 ft long with a 70 hrs motor. We have it riged up the way we want it. Its real comfortable for 2 people to fish out of. When the kids come up its a little crowded and we can't all go at the same time. I think it would be ok, but I'm sure I would miss the boat we have. Its real easy to handle. I go out a lot by myself. I've handled pontoons by myself before also and it was ok. I'm just scared we will regret it. Any thoughts on this?
<><Mary><>

Personally I want a deck boat. Then you would have the best of both. Of course I am going to have to win the lottery first!

Actually, if we had a spot on a lake instead of hauling every weekend I would love a pontoon. We have even talked about being able to just stay on it over the weekend. There are some people on one of the lakes around here that dock their pontoon every weekend on a beach where there are no cottages (too narrow) and they spend the whole weekend-and pay no taxes! Works for me. Of course then you get the same problem as owning a cottage. You know - all those friends you did not know you had.

------------------
Phyl

Not getting old - just practical. I have my 12' beater for fishing me & another or two but I think when I save up for (or get a nice fat promotion to get) an upgrade - I'm goin' pontoon. I fished with two kids and my wife on one this past summer, and it was great.
PROS-
Lots of room for movement & stowage
Shallow draft
big fuel tank
Kinda like having a mobile fishing pier

CONS -
Maneuverability
big profile for the wind to catch
big footprint
heavy
harder to trailer

They drive like a barge.
my $0.02

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

We only haul it once after we take it up to the Lake to a Fishing turnament that we go to that is only 12 miles away form there. Other then that it sits on a boat lift in the lake the rest of the summer. Comfort wise I think I'd like it also. Oh we'd have to get a diffent boat lift also. Thanks for the input you just never know what your not thinking about that someone else would think of. <><Mary><>