• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More scent control

FishingWebGuy

So I'm ready to do a load of laundry with scent free detergent. Now I'm imagining there is probably residue in the wash machine from previous loads with regular detergent and same thing with the dryer and dryer sheets.

Does anyone run a couple of empty loads first or does it really not seem to matter?

Also, my clothes will be all nicely washed and sealed in an air tight container. My body will be washed in scent free soap and wipes. I'll be chewing mint gum, wearing rubber boots. But what about my pack and the seat on my climber and the harness and ropes? These are all things that have been handled and won't have been washed. Is spraying them down with scent killer usually enough?

Or maybe I should through everything in my topper with some balsam boughs until we take it out to go hunting.

Any thoughts?...

FWG,

I think your doing a great job thus far. I'm pretty new to the sport, so I've been learning pretty quickly as I've gone along.

You have a great point about your pack and seat. I drench my bag in scent killer spray, and let it airdry. My stand is all metal, so Im not too worried about it, altough if I put My cushin on, i'd probably want to spraty that pretty well.

If you are using your dryer, it does say on most scent free dryer sheets to make sure you thouroghly clean the lint trap, and deep into the lint trap console.

I personally do not like the idea of the dryer or dryer sheets so I air dry and immediately place into a carbon scentlock bag.

I use the majority of ScentKIller's line:

1-wash

2-dryer sheets (bought some, but havn't used them. air dry)

3-body wash

4-deoterant/antiperspirant

5-original spray

6-Carbon scent free bag for clothes

I considered trying those scent free waffers, but I just don't eat anything and try breathe through my nose.

I had a doe and fawn do a 30-50 yd 300 degree walk around my 15-20 ft stand and even down wind the didn't seem suspicious or attempt to question.

As for your gear, spray it till it bleeds, air dry, and if you have a carbon or scent free bag, try to utilize it.

Good Luck!

I spray all my smaller things down. For my clothes, I like to wash them and place them in a scent proof bag. I also like to take leaves and other leaves or grasses from the area I hunt and place them in a large bag with my clothes.

Seems if I do this and also pay attention to the wind, get high enough in a tree, I have very few to no issues with getting blown at.

I usually throw a little extra baking soda in with the standard scent free wash for my bow hunting clothes. I'm not sure if it works but in my mind it takes care of any extra residue. Then I alwasy air dry outside for usually 24 hours to get out any extra scent that might be lingering. I don't think I would dare try and compete with whatever scent dryer sheets my wife uses.

I also spray down my bow, pack, arrows, release, rubber boots, stand and anything else that has any scent on it.

You can put your pack in the wash with your cloths, I do it all the time. I use the earth scent dryer sheets with good sucess, but InTheNorthwoods hit it on the head. Playing the wind is 1000% more important than all the product you could possibly buy.

Good luck out there!