• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be Careful!!!! Too Hot For Fido!!!

uplander

The temps will be high this weekend for grouse opener so remember to use extreme caution when running your dog!!!!!! Too many times dogs die or suffer permanent dammage because of heat related stress!!! I know most of us know this...but this is just a frienly reminder...Be safe out there for you and your dog!!

If it is going to be this warm I just don't run my dogs..It's hard for them to smell anyway with their tounge dragging on the ground..Once again be careful and have a great bird season!! uplander

Sage advice! Too often the excitement of being out hunting again, foreshadows the common sense of over running a dog. It happens not only in September's grouse opener, but all too often in October's pheasant openers...

Lots of water and cool down periods... hunt early and late in the day, and you should be good.

Good Luck!

Ken

Does he cary that right in the field with him? You need water on you at all times!

I don't believe I said that was the only water available for the dogs. I don't know what he does in the field, but I carry two water bottles, one for me and one for the dog. When you're back at the truck, or being hauled in the back of the truck, a cooler is a lot easier than a water bottle or a dish.

Open the lid.

Let dog drink.

Close lid.

Didn't mean to offend....but you can never cary enough water with you..If you have ever seen a dog go down from the heat you know what I'm talking about....If you are not hunting in an area with plenty of standing water you will be hard pressed to get that dog cooled off with one bottle of water even 2 won't do the trick.

From seeing it first hand let me tell you how helpless you'll feel when it happens, and there is no water in sight and you are a half a mile from the truck.

Some dogs are smart enough to slow the pace down and take their time checking back often for water .....but some are not...and those are ones you must be very careful with. Hope everyone stays cool...uplander

What I've used all the time in my truck is I have one of those 5gal Drink coolers with a spicket on it filled with water and in my chest freezer I have 1 gal milk jugs frozen and I drop one into the drink cooler to keep the water cool all day.

Then in my hunting vest I carry (3) 16oz water bottles that I have trained my dogs to drink out of. I use the water bottles with good rubber spouts on them(so the leakage is minmal). Out here in Monatana it is still blazing hot yet & dry. So I limit my field searches to a bottle and a half in(usually 30 min) & a bottle and a half to get out to ensure the dog has plenty of fluids for the hunt. Then we rest back at the truck for 20 min. and more water. Refill bottles have a snack and back at it again. Carring plenty of water also conditions the dog to know that water is always available if he ever needs it. I use the water consumtion as gage on how the pup is feeling the heat and never try to push farther if water is low. The birds will always be there!!

Another thing many many people over look is conditioning your dogs continously over the warmer summer months. Conditioning & Plenty of fluids is the key to a happy & successful performance from our best friends in the field plus it doesn't hurt us either!!

Best Regards,

Chris