• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4 Stroke motor oil

anchor man

I'll be winterizig my Yam. F150 this year myself. Although I want to take good care of it, is it necessary to spend $10.99 on a quart of the recommended Yam. 4-stroke oil? Can I get good results from the less spendy brands? Also, should I stick with the Yam. oil filters?

Thanks

There was an article where they tested various conventional oils in a 4 stroke. I want to say it was Trailer Boats magazine, but I can't find the article now.

Anywho, they tested lots of parameters including corrosion protection, metals present in oil, etc. The two that came out on top were Mobil 1 and Penzoil conventional.

I plan on switching to Amsoil or Mobil 1 someday, but will stick with conventional Yamalube while under warranty. I also want to make sure it's really good and broke in with conventional the first 3 years before switching to synthetic.

I just bought a used F115 and the guy always ran amsoil synthetic, I'm going to stick with that.

Northlander - How many quarts does the F115 take?

4.8 quarts. Fill it up and then check it after you ran it a while. Some times you may have to add what was left of that 5th quart. At least in mine. I think the filter must suck some of it up. I run the 5-30 but know some guys who run the 5-40 because they lose a little oil every once in a while and they say that seems to help. Why I dont know. wink

When I ran a 4-stroke yamaha I always ran yamaha 4-stoke oil and filter with no problems. When you spend that kind of money on the motors, and only have to change the oil once a year I thinks it worth the money.

That's my view on it as well. Yama-Lube and OEM filters are what I use.

Oil filter for the Yamaha 4-stroke outboards:

Small engines and up through the 115: EaOM103 (Labeled "Motorcycle" but applies to many types of powersports equipment.)

I found a listing for the 200: EaO57

However I cannot confirm an oil filter for the 150 (I would not be surprised to find out it is the same as the 200.)

A comment for several other posts: the AMSOIL 4-stroke Marine oils carry the NMMA FC-W certification - and are fully warranty certified for all 4-stroke outboards. They are available in 10W-40 and 10W-30