• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 Trout Stamp Winner!

Renneberg

A part-time artist from Cambridge has won the 2005 Minnesota Trout and Salmon Stamp contest. Jason Alan Brown's oil painting of a brook trout was selected from among 13 entries to be the design for the 2005 stamp. Judging took place on Aug. 5 at the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) headquarters in St. Paul.

Brown, an avid hunter, angler and outdoorsman, won the contest despite this being only his second try. He made extensive changes to his winning painting the night before the deadline.

"I didn't think it would win the way it was," Brown said of his painting. "I stayed up all night. I guess it was worth it, I'm really excited."

Brown grew up in a home where wildlife art was a part of everyday life. "My dad is an artist and he entered stamp contests. He'll be very happy for me." Brown's father, along with other family members and friends encouraged him to enter the contest.

"Winning the trout stamp competition has been a goal of mine since I was very young," he said. In addition to painting, Brown's hobbies include trout fishing and fly-tying.

Runners-up, in alphabetical order, were Tombo Beard of Circle Pines, Richard Goodkind of St. Louis Park, and Laurence Huls of Avon. Others who advanced to the second stage of judging were Douglas Peterson of Madison, John Rentz of St. Paul, and Steven Trofka of Maple Grove.

The DNR, which conducts the annual stamp contest, offers no prizes. The winner, however, retains reprint reproduction rights to the work, which is usually reproduced as a limited edition wildlife print.

The Minnesota Trout and Salmon Stamp is required for those who fish in designated trout streams, designated trout lakes, Lake Superior, or who possess trout and salmon. They must also purchase a Minnesota fishing license.

The DNR sells approximately 98,000 stamps every year. The 2005 trout stamp will cost $10, with proceeds used for trout and salmon habitat improvements and stocking programs for streams and lakes, for buying angling easements along trout streams, and for special projects on Lake Superior, according to Mark Ebbers, DNR Fisheries Trout and Salmon Program consultant.

Recently the DNR spent $854,426 from the Trout and Salmon Stamp Fund to make habitat improvements and to do maintenance work on 48 trout streams across the state from Roseau to Winona County, including projects on North Branch Creek and Torkelson Creek.

Trout and Salmon Stamp Funds helped purchase more than five miles of angling easements on five trout streams. These funds also covered the expense of operating five coldwater hatcheries and stocking 2.5 million trout and salmon statewide. A project evaluating habitat for coaster brook trout in North Shore streams received Trout Stamp funding. These funds also helped finance recovery work on the wild steelhead in Lake Superior.

2005_trout_stamp.jpg

------------------
"Study to be quiet"