• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 legged dogs

golfer

Hey guys,

I've got a good friend who has a lab about 4 yrs old. He just recently lost one of his front legs a couple weeks ago. He asked me what I thought he should do. Well putting him down is permanent. Growing up we had a 3 legged dog and he seemed to do just fine, although we didn't hunt with him. I told him a 3 legged dog could run faster than he or I. I told him I thought he would do just fine especially in light to moderate cover. Has anyone on this forum hunted with a 3 legged dog?

Does anyone here have any thoguhts? At worst he'll have a good family dog.

Thanks.

The lab is young so he can be a productive dog for hunting and a companion. Obviously he wont be the fastest but he still will have the drive to please his master and he just may out perform other dogs.

Putting it down is not an option IMO.

I cant remember if it was Kent Hrbeck outdoors or the pheasants forever tv show. But one episode they had a German Wire Hair that only had 3 legs.

At first I watched and was trying to figure out why this dog was so special and as I watched it quarter in the field, point, track and retrieve wild roosters to hand it never even dawned on me that it only had 3 legs until the announcer said it did.

The drive and determination of that dog was amazing. They went on to say all the success this dog had in NAVHDA etc. Regardless of its titles it was a great dog and I would gladly hunt a dog like that in my kennel.

If the dog can still get by and isnt in any pain I say let be a dog just like every other dog.

I bet he will do just fine. Keep his weight in check and his muscle mass up and he will amaze everyone.

We had a 2 legged dog in the neighborhood when I was growing up. It was actally a 3 legged one for a year or two and then another broken leg and it became a 2 legged. That dog would immediatley hit the dirt when it was done running, but the secod the kids would take off on their bike, he'd spring up and forward and move along at a pretty good clip... it was the darndest thing you ever saw.

Good Luck!

Ken