• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Shack Window Modifications?

JimBuck

I've got a clam suitcase style shelter that I've been toying around with putting some additional windows in for tip ups, ventilation etc. I was wondering if anyone has ever messed around with modifying their own shelter and added windows etc? I'd do it on my own but am also willing to explore more professional options. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

Actually Jim it's quite easy. I'd suggest that you enlist the aid of a person with a heavy duty sewing machine though. I had the help of a 'shoe shop' owner. The vinyl I used, I bought from the local Ben Franklin store (that was back in the early '80's), The house was still in use (as of last season) with those same windows! I bought the heaviest vinyl B.F. carried and had the shoe guy sew it in. Phred52

Now Phred your talking about the clear, flexible vinyl windows and not vinyl home windows right? It sounds like it would be fairly easy to do with the right machine. B.F. sounds like a good option for the windows as well as a few replacements.

I like the style of the new Frabill windows that have velcro around the top 3 sides of the window and they have a section of material to put up on the inside as well. Basically you can keep it dark, pull down the fabric and have the clear vinyl, or you can pull the entire thing open and have a hole to the outside.

Yes Jim, I'm talking about the clear vinyl that is on a roll(bolt) like material is. And again, Yes, It is quite an easy project with the "right help". The sewing machine should be heavy duty enough to at least sew multiple layers of canvas to be right for the job. Phred52

I like the style of the new Frabill windows that have velcro around the top 3 sides of the window and they have a section of material to put up on the inside as well. Basically you can keep it dark, pull down the fabric and have the clear vinyl, or you can pull the entire thing open and have a hole to the outside.

I'll second this recommendation. If the final ever cracks, it is much easier to replace.