• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

EXTREME trout fishing!!!

Renneberg

Tjhunter and I made it out to Wisconsin early C&R trout season opener.

It started out good. We seen a ton of trout in the very first hole, but no biters. Tjhunter said he had about 20 trout follow his fly out of the hole at once.

As we made are way up stream we seen many more trout but had no takers.

The first hole we fished that had the sun shinning on it produced a nice 15 inch brown. Slowly the trout became more active as the sun warmed the water.

About a mile up stream from where we started we ran into a very mad local. He was mad because he said we f*#king scared his ducks away when we came up river. He went on telling us that he had been feeding them all winter. (As he was telling us this I couldn't help but notice a duck blind about a hundred feet upstream from where he was feeding them)
He then told us that the f*#king early C&R trout opener has made it very f#*king hard to a catch anything to keep on opening day of the catch and keep season. He said that he had been fishing the river for 30 f*#king years and the fishing has gone down hill ever since the f*#king early C&R season started.

Then for some reason he told us that they were still trapping beaver in the river and to watch out for the beaver traps because it would take our leg off and if it didn't we would need two people to open it.

By now Tjhunter and I know he wasn't to happy that we were fishing here.

After the man left we kept on going upstream and kept fishing, while enjoying the nice warm sun.

About five minutes later we heard gun fire coming from the direction the man came and left. He must of unloaded 30+ rounds. It sounded like machine gun fire to me.

This happened at about 8:30 am!

We just looked at each other and thought, man his ducks are never going to come back now! grin.gif

The crazy man lives on 400th street just off of hwy 10. Watch out for him and beaver traps, if any of you head up to that part of the river.

All and all we had a good day, and can't wait for the water to warm up and the trout to bite better.

I hope everyone elses trout season start off safer then ours did.

P.S. Jim W. you may want to have a seminar on "How to deal with crazy land owners on trout streams" during your Trout Days. grin.gif

------------------
"Study to be quite"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 03-01-2003).]

"72 hour hold"?

Renneberg land owner relations can always be sticky if they don't want people on thier land. Here in SE MN as of March 1st they expanded the number streams open to C&R fishing, and there is a small stream near where I live that already has a DNR easement for summer fishing, but the landowner was not happy that they wanted to open it up to fishing any earlier than the regular opener(didn't want more people on his land) so the DNR didn't open the stream to winter C&R.

I don't think I have a moral to that story other than I think the DNR realizes that will be harder to continue to buy easements for us the anglers, if the landowners are not happy.

But man I would not want to get stuck in one of those traps. Thats for the report I wish I could have went fishing today instead of working.

72 hour hold must be the time he could be held (jail) for making threats, etc.?

Wouldn't worry about the traps too much. I used to trap for many years and even a beaver-sized leghold on the foot isn't going to do much more than cause a little bruise or some swelling - as long as you're wearing a bott/waders. It's not like the traps have teeth on them or anything. Hate to get my hand in one though.

Sarge he wasn't made that we were on his land. We were both standing in the water which is state owned. He was mad we scared his ducks away. Besides all 3 of the houses were located on that area of the road are on the other side of the road.

S. P. Ogren, we are looking in to the feeding of the ducks. Wisconsin currently has a ban on feeding wild life because of CWD found in the states deer. That man did and had been dumping corn on the ground for the ducks. I didn't see anything that would stop the local deer from coming in and eating the corn.

I know what those traps look like. I've gone out with my cousin a couple of time to check traps and set new ones.
The guy told us to watch out for them as if they had teeth on those traps.

I guess I'll have to refran from sticking any body part in the trap and setting it off. frown.gifgrin.gif

------------------
"Study to be quite"

I tried emailing the WI DNR, but my email would not go through. The 800 tips number would not work from my house in MN. It must only be available if you are calling from inside WI. What a hillbilly....I was really [PoorWordUsage]ed at the whole situation. I can see a guy being frustrated, but shooting 30 rounds or so - he didn't directly threaten us, but I certainly didn't feel comfortable sticking around that area.

tjhunter

ps - I didn't have any cell phone service down in the river valley, or I would have called 911 right there.

[This message has been edited by tjhunter (edited 03-03-2003).]

just carry a bottle of whiskey or something with you next time renneberg and offer it to this guy, he will probably treat you like a brother haha anyway good story i'll keep on the look out for this guy. also if the regs of the early season are respected by anglers i do not see what damage can be done, it helps me regain some sanity after the loooong winter blues...

I had a life-threatening experience once with a landowner many years ago (in 70s)while fishing Trout Run in S. E. Mn
He is now gone as is his entire residence I see the last rip down there. But, anyway, I was wading the Run upstream from my land I personally owned on "the Run" one morning and got up to this ol fart's place(I knew he was not "pro-fishing") but he did allow a "fence-ladder" or "style" as we call them to be built over his fence-line near the streamside. Anyway, I began to climb the "style" when I hear this high-power rifle shot go-off! I looked immediately off to this landowner's place,. which was approx. 300 yards off the stream. There he was standing looking at me with his Model '94 Winchester in-hand. He direcly shot over my head to warn me to leave! NEEDLESS to say..I stopped atop the "style" and returned to the side I came from! ;(

Another instance with this same landowner the very next Spring I was down on the Run and it was late April, and there had just been a huge storm go thru with lots of rain. The "run" began to flood the area quickly as it will with the terrain allowing heavy rains to run-off into it so quickly. Anyway, I knew there was trouble upstream due to the fact "our bridge" (just what we called it) had endured several large dead elm trees slamming into it and causing it to become a dam actually. So I drove up the hill and down the "Bid-a-WE" road to the next bridge upstream to check it out. There HE was, on top of the dang bridge with his tractor, trying to single-handedly pull several HUGE trees outta the newly constructed "culvert-bridge" they built just the year before. Anyway, I got out to see if he would allow my help and he didn't actually say a word, so I began to help him chain-up some of those HUGE elm stumps to allow them to float on thru the culverts. WE actually worked well together that day, side-by-side in the down-pouring rainstorm.
After we had chained and straightened several stumps to allow them to float on-thru(they were too large to lift with his tractor bucket) he merely just left without saying a word...to each his own I guess.

Old "Fritz" will be remembered tho! That is the ol fart's name that both, shot at/over me and worked beside me...did anyone know him?

"LUND-MAN"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"